Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of treats do you use to train your poos?

By my breeder's reccomendation I've been using cheerios. I'm kind of worried Trixie will get bored with them. What treat brands or foods work well?

and a cute picture of Trixie in her travel bag! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm using a cereal type too and they haven't tired of it yet,
everytime they hear the container rattling...here they come running! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't feed any grain to Murphy. For training treats I use freeze dried liver (Pure Bites) or lamb lung (from Merrick). I've also used a Natural Balance roll (looks like a big salami) cut into small pieces. For a 'jackpot' treat, cheese really works for us.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
We don't have the natural balance brand here, the one we have is pet botanics, it's the same thing. We've always called it puppy crack because the dogs LOVE it. I can count on one hand the number of dog's I've come across in training classes that dont go bonkers for it.

Personaly I use hotdogs for teaching new behaviors, and for other behaviors I also like freeze dried liver I can't think of the brand I get off the top of my head. I also really like to use Solid Gold Tiny Tots treats. My guys really really like those.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I mainly use dried tripe, cut up into small pieces, for normal training work. If I want to be sure of a certain behaviour outside, with distractions, I let the dogs know I have tiny cubes of cheese. These are the only treats they will eat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
adorable photo of Trixie.
I use home made chicken hearts oven baked to crispy dry condition.
And Charlee Bear ones - both my Poodles go crazy for it :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Bill jack has liver treats that you can pick up at petsmart. They work pretty good. I have heard great things about the Natural balance log. I do hotdogs and cheese if Im out of dog treats. They like them all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
good treats!

hi, just a quick response.. remember a rule of thumb should be to avoid anything with corn, wheat, or soy (they arent natural sources of protein for pets). whole life (www.wholelifepet.com) makes really good dehydrated meat (chicken, turkey, venison, liver, beef) treats that are ideal for training. apperon (www.apperon.com) makes the same treat called real food toppers. all of these are real dehydrated meats, no artificial anything.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I use dried liver also and T just loves it. Also all our boarding dogs get a liver treat each morning and I haven't found a dog who would refuse it yet LOL.

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of my favorites is Zuke's Mini Naturals. They are small and not messy, so great for carrying around in your pocket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts