Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know I have been doing more research into temperaments now that I'm having my own issues and it's plain in black and white. Temperaments are herditary. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. It doesn't necessarily have to be directly from the sire and dam either, it could be from some where down the line. While environment does play some part in the development of the puppy's temperament, it's more genetics than anything else.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It is possible that the litter had good lines behind it and the mother's shyness didn't get passed down to this particular litter of puppies?

As far as learned behavior, on the barking, what if the mother dies during the delievery of the puppies? There are no other dogs to care for the litter and they are bottle fed and handled by humans their entire life. There is no female dog to teach them how to be a dog. Isn't something like just innate? They have instincts for a reason correct? Some breeds instinctually know how to retrieve whereas others instinctually know how to race. These things are not taught by the dam of the litter so why would shyness or a predisposition to aggression be taught?

I'm too am very interested in this form of genetics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.