Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know how many of you guys suffered through the puppy blues when you first got your pup?

I can safely say that I've gotten over mind now, but when I first got Zael... oh boy was it bad.
I kept crying, I felt like my puppy hated me, I felt like I was incapable of loving him, that I was doing everything wrong, and I was honestly considering phoning the breeder and telling her to take the dog back. That I wasn't ready.

But thankfully I made it out the other end with both my dogs love and my sanity lol.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Yuppers, puppies are not all sweetness and love. Lily and I had a love hate relationship for most of the first year she was home. She was so high energy she made me crazy (jumping, mouthing, pulling on clothes) and my stress just made her crazier. I considered putting her on a leash tied to the stop sign on the corner of my property with a sign hung around her neck saying "please take me!" Peeves could have been there with her too many days.

Reactions: Zael

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
LOL, can't say I had the blues but there have been many a times I asked myself if I had made a mistake getting such a big puppy at my age. But I never thought of sending him back, I just said to myself well now you did it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only had my puppy for 3-weeks now, but the thought "Huh, I think I'm actually a cat person" crossed my mind a lot.

Maybe it's the puppy classes I enrolled her in or that "21-day habit" kicking in, but I really love her now and wouldn't ever trade her for a cat.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I read a lot about this happening with puppies, and I think that made me prepared for it so that it didn't happen. I was really worried that Misha wouldn't bond with me, but luckily that was not an issue. I think this forum really helped, particularly the puppy reality thread. I think knowing to expect the landshark phase has kept me from stressing about it. But oh man it was intense at first! I don't know what I would have done if Misha was a standard! He was small enough that I could hide up on the couch to keep his teeth off me. And being able to stick him in his x pen has been a life saver for when he's too much.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Each puppy is different. Bella was a lap dog the first day at 10 weeks old, but Sachii, whom I got at 3 months, was more independent and loved to play, fetch, play, and not lap sit for more than few minutes. At 8 months old he turned into a cuddle bug too, almost overnight.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I didn't have that with my tpoo probably because my kids were so involved with her training. And my minipoo, I got her when she was almost a year old.

I wonder if part of those feelings are do to all the work that's required with a young puppy - the socialization, potty training, introducing to grooming etc. There's a big commitment of time and energy. It can be overwhelming.

Sorry to hijack - but Vita, I love your new avatar of Bella and Sachii.

Reactions: Vita and Zael

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, my feelings towards Zael back then definitely came with the unfamiliarity of a puppy, I'd forgotten how difficult they could be and this was the first time in my life that I would be raising an animal alone, without support from my family.

I guess it also didn't help that my last dog Dylan had just passed away. The loneliness was killing me and I foolishly got a new pup far to soon.
It was a shock to the system, going from a 16 year old dog to a 10 week old puppy.

I'm glad I have him now though, can't see my life without Zael in it now. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts