Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.wired.com/story/why-didnt-i-get-emergency-presidential-alert-text/

I was expecting it and never got it. I don’t understand how all of my news sources, text alerts, VM’s etc. show up on my Verizon IPhone and this one did not. If this is our national cyber prowess, we are doomed. We are barely one year out from Hurricane Harvey, so yeah, I need to know. Did you get the alert and what time? What did it say?

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
Yeah I got it as did everyone else is my building at work, I was incredibly busy I just turned it off after reading it was an alert at 2:15 p.m.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I got it, it was around 11 am. Didn't read the text message other than it was a test of the emergency alert system. I also noticed it popped up on the TV.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I got it at 2:18 pm EST precisely when a story on NPR warned viewers it was to occur.

I would contact your service provider and find out why you didn’t get it.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
I got it right around 2:15 PM eastern as did my students who I was in lab with. I also have Verizon as my wireless provider. Mfmst I agree with you that it is troubling that you didn't get it (and presumably lots of others as well). BF was already asleep when I got home from work last night and he already went to work, but I will check with him about whether he got it and also will check with my mom. All of us are on Verizon. I will post later about their replies.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am also on Verizon and received the emergency alert at 2:18 pm (Eastern Time) yesterday. It said "Presidential Alert THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Yes, murphys has the text of the message correct. I forgot that part of your question. BF and mom both got it too.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DH didn’t get it either! His assistant said if we have the amber alerts turned off in settings, which I do, I wouldn’t have gotten it. Those had gotten annoying, but I guess I need to turn it back on if a monster storm or the end of the world is being announced.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
DH didn’t get it either! His assistant said if we have the amber alerts turned off in settings, which I do, I wouldn’t have gotten it. Those had gotten annoying, but I guess I need to turn it back on if a monster storm or the end of the world is being announced.

I cannot imagine what would trigger a national alert. It seems to me that all the usual news and information sources are quite adequate. I, for one, do not want to hear from orange hair.

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
I cannot imagine what would trigger a national alert. It seems to me that all the usual news and information sources are quite adequate. I, for one, do not want to hear from orange hair.

Orange hair, what about the orange skin? That is the bizarre part to me. ;-)

I don't get amber alerts and didn't realize that was a settings thing, but I am subscribed to the NYS emergency alert system which gives weather warnings, but also sends us campus emergency alerts. Maybe that is part of the difference.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Yep got it. Not sure what time as I had may phone turned off but when I turned it on it was there..didn't have tv on either so...I asked my daughters they too received it.

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Apparently some notice on Yahoo said that only about 70% of cell phones were going to have received it.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my bad that I didn’t get it. I had both Amber and emergency alerts, “off” in settings. User error, so apologies to FEMA and Verizon and Apple. I still believe the US is not as serious as it should be about cyber warfare. The veracity of a presidential emergency message is also a concern.

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Well, my bad that I didn’t get it. I had both Amber and emergency alerts, “off” in settings. User error, so apologies to FEMA and Verizon and Apple. I still believe the US is not as serious as it should be about cyber warfare. The veracity of a presidential emergency message is also a concern.

Agreed that being prepared and having a really reliable system is super important. My brother was a counter terrorism strategic planner for the NYPD until he retired and went into private sector work. His initial area of interest just after 9/11 (when he joined the bureau) was infrastructure protection, but he refocused to cyber pretty quickly and did a fair amount of cyber protection work in his last job.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My sister is in IT, and I asked her why she didn’t want to focus on cyber security and her answer was “Too many vulnerabilities, like wack a mole, and your job title can morph to scape goat with any breach.” Someone, somewhere is trying to hack every system we have and this is not a far fetched conspiracy theory. Why I always update to the latest OS update. It’s a fix for a way in that was found, hopefully in time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts