Poodle Forum banner

141 - 143 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
So proud of Maisie today! She actually lay down on the grooming table so I could brush with one hand and blow dry with the other! Is there nothing freeze-dried liver can't accomplish? ;)
And I think I managed to trim away the hair under her eyes enough so that we don't wind up with big lachrymal mats under them. This has been a challenge for us. It's hard for me to keep a black, wiggly puppy where I can both see well enough to trim her and simultaneously keep her from backing off the table.
I asked around to some of my poodle-owning friends and got a referral to the salon in our little town. Sadly the owner says she's no longer accepting big poodles and doodles as new clients, but she's going to do Maisie for me a couple of times while she's little (14 weeks today).
And then, once Maisie's trained - she'll have me come with her after hours and give me a grooming lesson on how to do her myself!:) I'm so excited to have a real live teacher to help me learn this!

·
Registered
Casey, toy poodle - RIP 11/06/2003 to 02/23/2021
146 Posts
I groomed my poodle for 13 years but never trimmed his black nails. I let my Vet do it. I was afraid. Good for you!

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Today we sat on the deck for about 45 minutes while I snipped here and there with the scissors I use for my own hair. I’m not sure why Peggy is so tolerant of this. She stands relaxed but still, just looking around and munching the occasional handful of kibble while I work. It actually reminds me an awful lot of trimming a bonsai! Very meditative.

In less fun news, even though they’re as short as I can get them, her back nails still look a little long, especially with freshly trimmed feet. I’m going to have to be more diligent about encouraging the quicks to recede.

Peggy still hates having her front nails done, but thanks to the scratch board, I only have to do two on each paw. And she’s pressed as close to me as she can possibly get right now while she naps, so I guess all is forgiven. :)

141 - 143 of 143 Posts