Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My poor girl Belle has been struggling with diarrhea for the last two days. When I first noticed I had switched from their regular protein (ground turkey) to chicken tenders. The turkey wasn’t available cuz of pandemic and folks stocking up. The chicken is very lean and they have had it over the years many times. I mix this with Blue Buffalo chicken and rice kibble. I’ve stopped all treats, which would only include peanuts and perhaps some tuna fish (small amount) as a midday treat. Last night I gave her 1/2 cup kibble with about a tablespoon of pumpkin. This morning she was very agitated and couldn’t wait to go out. Again diarrhea, watery even. Even saw some blood on her bum. I know how sensitive their tummy can be. Is there anything I can give that will help. Chicken and rice I know and smaller portions. I’m concerned about dehydration. I’ll keep a close watch
any advice?
Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to add,
I have 2 spoo’s When one is having tummy issues I always compare them. My other girl seems fine although I did notice some small amount of diarrhea from her yesterday as well. But she seems ok now, stool looks normal though not quite as much as normal. Perhaps the chicken was somewhat bad? I ate it too and haven’t had any problems. Just worried about my girl Belle. I always reach out to this forum when issues arise. It’s very comforting to know what other’s have to say.
thanks again

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Can you call the vet and maybe get some gastro food from them ? Many people say vet food is terrible, but every time my dogs have had health problems that could be helped with food, the vet food solved it.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I second the gastro food suggestion, plus a tube of diarrhoea paste, both from the vet or available online.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
97 Posts
It could be possible that she developed an allergy to chicken.
Her kibble has chicken also. Broth has chicken as well.
Sometimes food allergies come out of nowhere.
I'd remove the chicken entirely and see if that helps.

I'd feed her baked sweet potatoes (skin and all) and a tsp of plain organic yogurt.

You can give pedialyte in addition to water.
homemade pedialyte:
2tbsp sugar or honey, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 qt water.

I know if this continues another 24 hours you will be with your vet,
best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
I always switch my dogs to plain boiled chicken breast or lean ground turkey during bouts of diarrhea, along with a bit of the cooking water.

I used to sometimes add some pumpkin, too, but it made Peggy vomit when she was otherwise totally healthy, so I now steer clear.

Gracie had bloody diarrhea twice in her life: Once from dried liver treats, and then once, almost a decade later, when I abruptly increased her fibre with extra veggies. Both times it was bright red and likely from the trauma of so much diarrhea.

Really hope Belle is feeling better soon. 💛 You can check her for signs of dehydration to help you decide whether it's time to call the vet:

"To test if your dog is dehydrated, use your thumb and forefinger to pinch a little skin on their back or the top of their head. If they are well hydrated, the skin should spring back when you release it. As the skin loses moisture, it will move back into place more slowly."

I would also consider lethargy a warning sign.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Can you get ground lean hamburger meat, either beef or turkey? You can boil that with white rice. I use it when I can't get unskilled chicken breast.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thoughts all around ,
This group is absolutely wonderful. I can’t tell you how reassuring it is to be able to reach out and get some much feedback. Thank you, everyone.
Belle does seem better today. Lean ground turkey and white rice for her for a couple more days. Both my girls are almost 9 years old and it just pains me horribly to see them hurting. And this caring group is such a comfort. I hope all of you and your pups are healthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts