Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my boys have had Diarrhea for the last three days and 2 of them seem to be getting over it with more solid poos as of this morning, unfortunately the whiter boy 'Cody' is having a bad day today and while his diarrhoea is no worse (3-4 sloppy poos in the night) this morning he is not eating or drinking and is acting lethargic/poorly, but also the last time he did a diarrhea their was a small patch of fresh blood and this accounted for about 5% of the total waste.

Please can you recommend anything to heal his tummy or make him feel better?

Its Saturday today but if he is not better by Monday I will be taking him to the vets.

Thanks in advance for any advice
ant...

Pooches in Bed.jpg
Pooches On iPad.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,460 Posts
You could try boiling 1/2 cup rice in with a pound of lean ground meat. Cook it with lots of water, so it comes out like a thick soup.

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Such cutie pies! I'm sorry they're not feeling well :(

I feed plain boiled white chicken or ground white turkey to help heal bellies. Lean is key. Sometimes I'll add some white rice, too, to help "bind" things up. And if their mouth feels hot and dry, I offer an ice cube to lick. Or wet my hand and let them lick. Sometimes this seems to stimulate the appetite.

The bright red blood could be from the trauma of so many painful poops. But small and medium sized dogs can dehydrate so quickly. I'd be worrying at this point, too.

Have you checked for signs of dehydration? I pinch the loose skin at the back of the neck, above the shoulders. If it quickly falls back into place, that's good. If it takes its time, or holds the pinched shape, that's a sign of dehydration.

When this happened with my last dog after a long bout of vomiting (she was a minipoo mix) the vet administered subcutaneous fluids.

But I hope a bland diet and some rest is all your pups need to be feeling better soon!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the white rice advice, ill try that tomorrow.

Ive just tested his dehydration and he seems fine, but there has been No vomiting. In fact he has started eating a few bits so I'm hoping he is getting better like his brothers.

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Thank you both for the white rice advice, ill try that tomorrow.

Ive just tested his dehydration and he seems fine, but there has been No vomiting. In fact he has started eating a few bits so I'm hoping he is getting better like his brothers.

That's so good to hear! Diarrhea can be extremely dehydrating, so I was worried. Keep us posted :)

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
P.S. I wonder if they all got into something?? Not fun when they get sick from it, but I think it's so cute when dogs have naughty little adventures together. Years ago, mine shredded a queen-sized foam mattress topper. They were so quiet about it, that's actually what tipped me off. Dogs should never be THAT quiet. So I caught them in the act. One was clever enough to immediately stop, while the other obliviously continued his merry destruction.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
After many years of relying on rice congee and chicken I have discovered Royal Canin gastro sensitivity is even better - I keep a can or two to hand in case of emergency now. But chicken water is still the best thing I have found to keep them drinking and avoid dehydration - one or two skinless chicken breast fillets, a pint or more of water, and simmer till well cooked. Save the meat to feed as they feel better and give small, frequent drinks of the cooled water.

Check gums to test for early dehydration - tacky, sticky gums and it is time to get some liquid in.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi Ant,

Hope to hear everyone's on the mend. I love the photos of your crew :).

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My puppy trio have completely recovered now, thanks so much for all your advice.
Cody, the dog who suffered a little more from the bug with blood in the stool, recovered half a day after the other two, so I'm very happy but I'm also happy to have found my boys another meal (the chicken and rice you suggested). My boys enjoy variety in their meals and to find another meal which they enjoy and is good for their stomach is great. BTW I'm vegetarian now and ive found the boys really love grated organic carrot.

Im very glad you enjoy the photo's, I think the iPad image really sums up the comical nature of poodles when they are happy and my boys may not be clipped and brushed to perfection, or even close to where I would like them, but they are a pack of close brothers and so very happy when the house is full of all occupants, displaying all kinds of cheeky antics.
Dexter who is next to the iPad, you can see he is Lazy! and totally content to the level of not being as intelligent as you would expect from poodles, id almost suggest he never progressed from being a puppy because he still milks his teddy bear and is very cuddly/lovable. Then Cody (the alpha) is poking his head around the banister, always watching and understanding, even when sleeping in the other pic you notice he his watching what I'm doing. Being the leader Cody maintains a independent distance for appearances sake lol

Question: has anyone done a post gathering stories of the amazing things their poodles have done? I ask because my last toy poodle max (shown in the avatar), learned to use the house telephone which anyone ive met finds unbelievable. I think it would be great to hear peoples most amazing poodle stories but I expect there might already be a thread???
Story: When my mother and I left the house together leaving Max he understandably got upset and wanted to make contact the only way he knew how. with the cordless telephone. He dialled it with his nose and could only make calls if he accidentally hit redial but never the less he made a total of 3 calls to me and a couple to my mother.
Max fell in love with me as a puppy even though I did not live with my mum at the time, I had to drive back from the city after work just to visit him for an hour or so because he would be waiting behind the door for many hours, and eventually I moved in to be with Max and my mum. It was Max's desperation to be with me that my mother used to let him listen to me over the telephone which satisfied him if he was pineing, so please don't think I'm some sort of Dr DoLittle or Cesar Melan but the story is amazing imo but I expect this forum to be full of such stories and id love to hear them.

Cheers
ant... Cody, Dexter and Baby Bear

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It's very good to hear your boys are feeling better! What a lovely story of you and Max. I can easily believe that he telephoned you and your mum.
There's a very recent thread in Off Topic> Other Animals, I think, about animals who deliberately seek their human for help of some kind. There've been threads about heroic actions and poodle proclivities but for the moment, I can't think of more tho I'm sure there are. I remembered another recent one, titled something like Unintended Cues Taught, started I think by cowpony.

You could start one, Wink Wink Nudge Nudge ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts