Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 592 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What a fascinating thread! I am in awe of what you accomplished with Honey and what you are accomplishing with Noelle. I teared up a bit when you talked about losing Honey. (((hugs)))
Thank you for your kind words about Dear Honey. I still miss her very much. For Noelle's Gotcha Day I made a video you might enjoy. I posted it on an other thread, but I think it belongs here as well. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/s2XZ7iPkLEg

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Wow, bit of a bad day there. trying to see a bright side, you are aware of what to do to prevent those days from happening again.

I think the printouts are a great idea. Poor Noelle did the best she could, but that scuffling kid would have triggered me, too. Curious how much of her barking reaction was caused by the kid and how much by you getting upset? Sort of an avalanche of issues and all she did was bark. Good girl!

The insulin pump thing, that's scary. How often does it dislodge like that? Is there a way to prevent that? You do such a phenomenal job keeping up with things just to have a mechanical failure trip you up like that.

Glad you are able to repair the damage, but I wish there was a way to prevent it in the first place.

Thanks for the updates, this is a fascinating view into your world. :)

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks BK,

It really was the perfect storm. I'm upset and this kid is scaring my dog. Not sure what caused Noelle to bark, but probably a combination of everything. Paperwork would help. Hand it off, and go somewhere else for a bit so I can calm down. I don't handle stress like I used to. 24 cycles of high dose chemotherapy damaged my brain, and I don't have the same filters I used to have. Let the paperwork talk is my new plan.

Dislodged pump tubing is a serious downside of pumping insulin. I insert insulin pump sets every three days. A spring loaded applicator with an insertion needle goes POINK! and leave a tiny little Teflon needle under my skin, stuck on there with a bandage. My insulin pump tubing clicks into a plastic part on the set bandage with a loud CLICK!

Does it hurt?

Well, I did just stick a needle in my skin, so yes! But, usually it only hurts for a minute or so. Then it stops. Once everything is connected, I totally forget I'm wearing it.

Downside of pumping is I only use one type of insulin. If something goes haywire with my pump, I'm left without any insulin. Then ketones build up and things go to hell in a hand basket.

I can tape my set on with tape, but I usually don't. Because a dislodged set overnight happens once or twice a year. It's uncommon. Annoying! But uncommon. Tonight I'll sleep like a rock and wake up with beautiful blood sugar numbers. Sometimes in life you just have to roll with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I guess I stick every three days is better than injections once or even twice daily. Still, you are braver than I am. (tattoos, piercings and all! lol)

I am so loving learning your side of living with diabetes. I usually only get to see the results of mismanagement at work and, in my ignorance, did not realize just how complicated it can be.

Thank you for letting me see the other side, maybe I can use a bit more compassion with come of our patients. I honestly just 'assumed' they could eat correctly, give themselves their dose and go on their merry way. Goes to show, no matter how much one knows, there is still so much more to learn. Thank you for tonight's life lesson. :)

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
BK,

I hope this helps you gain some insight into how difficult it is to deal with diabetes. I can do all the right things:

Measure food with a measuring cup. Calculate the right amount of carbs. Give myself the correct insulin bolus, and end up with a blood sugar of 399. Why? Because my body started digesting the food before the insulin went to work.

Well, let's try that again.

Measure food with a measuring cup. Calculate the right amount of carbs. Give myself the correct insulin bolus, and end up with a BG of 34. Why? Because my insulin started lowering my blood glucose before my body started digesting the food.

Let's try that again.

Measure the food with a measuring cup, calculate carbs, bolus appropriately. BG rises to 163, drops back down to 108. Why? Because I am wearing pink socks, it's a Friday, and magic unicorns are real.

I have wonderful tools to help me manage, but the tools aren't perfect. I have insulin that works really well, but not perfectly either. I'm expected to do a perfect job taking over the function of a human organ using imperfect medications and imperfect tools. Insulin is so expensive in the USA that people are rationing it. They are not taking the full dose because they cannot afford to.

This is the monthly estimate with my health insurance. I hope this is not the final price. $1,470 a month for two vials of insulin is more than I can afford every month. Say prayers for me. Because I am really scared right now. This can't be the real price. It just can't be how much I have to pay until I reach my deductible. It just... can't.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I just hate to hear you had such a BAD day!!! So this is for the idiot at Walgreens.......

AND THIS IS FOR YOU & NOELLE.........................

·
Registered
715 Posts
What a day at the store! People are pretty quick to judge a service dog for a person who does not have an "obvious" disability. I like your print out idea and don't hesitate to ask for a manager next time ;). I'm sure this cashier would not challenge you hard when you say "she is a service dog and if you'd like, I can verify it. Could you call me your manager ??? *sweetest smile*".

And what a scare with the insulin spilling onto your skin. I'm glad to hear things are under control. Just a thought - do you think Noelle can alert you if it spills onto your skin? Train her like how she alerts you with the lows? (Please forgive me for my ignorance... But you are so kind in educating us)

I'm baffled by the cost of insulin. That is just too high!!!

I hope you'll have a great new years eve and day!!!

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sammy,

You're brilliant. I mean it. Smart, smart, smart, smart, smart. Insulin smells like Band-aids. I know, it's weird, but it's true. Open a box of plastic Band-aids and that's the smell of insulin. I could...

Put a drop of insulin on a pad, click, treat, repeat.
Put a drop of insulin under an old set, encourage her to smell it, click, treat, repeat.

Noelle would soon learn to alert me to the smell of a leaking pump set.
This would be a game changer. No one likes to wake up to a leaking pump set. Usually my first clue things have gone sideways is smelling Band-aids. But, of course, I smell it in higher concentrations than Noelle would. Noelle could let me know far ahead of time that my site isn't absorbing well and insulin is pooling instead of absorbing.

Huh, that would be easy to train and so darn useful.

Yay! Thank you for suggesting a task for Noelle. We can do this.

And the cost of insulin is shocking in the USA. It's $35 a vial in Canada. It's 4 Euros in Spain. If that page from my insurance company is right, insulin will be $735 a vial. I can fly to Spain, buy a years worth of insulin and fly home, for less than two vials.

I paid $300 a vial in 2016. If it's been jacked up to $735 a vial I will be terrified, but not surprised. I'll know my final price soon. That was just an estimate. Hopefully my co-pay is lower and I won't be freaking out. I have different health insurance this year. I am hoping it works out much better than 2016. Otherwise, I'm getting plane tickets!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ok you guys are making me blush!!!

The cost of insulin vials are ridiculous!!! My husband told me something similar happened to epipens... That is just crazy and there should be some action taken by the government... So... Time to plan a trip to Canada :). We are only a drive away ;)

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You run the risk of having your insulin seized at the border. It is illegal to bring it into the USA. My doctor calls smuggling insulin into the US an act of civil disobedience, and I think he's right. You do what you have to do to survive.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Sammy,

You're brilliant. I mean it. Smart, smart, smart, smart, smart. Insulin smells like Band-aids. I know, it's weird, but it's true. Open a box of plastic Band-aids and that's the smell of insulin. I could...

Put a drop of insulin on a pad, click, treat, repeat.
Put a drop of insulin under an old set, encourage her to smell it, click, treat, repeat.

Noelle would soon learn to alert me to the smell of a leaking pump set.
This would be a game changer. No one likes to wake up to a leaking pump set. Usually my first clue things have gone sideways is smelling Band-aids. But, of course, I smell it in higher concentrations than Noelle would. Noelle could let me know far ahead of time that my site isn't absorbing well and insulin is pooling instead of absorbing.

Huh, that would be easy to train and so darn useful.

Yay! Thank you for suggesting a task for Noelle. We can do this.

And the cost of insulin is shocking in the USA. It's $35 a vial in Canada. It's 4 Euros in Spain. If that page from my insurance company is right, insulin will be $735 a vial. I can fly to Spain, buy a years worth of insulin and fly home, for less than two vials.

I paid $300 a vial in 2016. If it's been jacked up to $735 a vial I will be terrified, but not surprised. I'll know my final price soon. That was just an estimate. Hopefully my co-pay is lower and I won't be freaking out. I have different health insurance this year. I am hoping it works out much better than 2016. Otherwise, I'm getting plane tickets!
Can you order online from a canadian pharmacy ?

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
No. It is illegal. It is legal for a Canadian citizen to buy a vial of Humalog insulin at their pharmacy over the counter, put it in a box with a frozen plastic soda pop bottle wrapped in zipper bags, put it in a box and mail it to me overnight. That is 100% legal for a Canadian to mail. It is also 100% illegal for me to receive it, and it may be stopped at the border.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
No. It is illegal. It is legal for a Canadian citizen to buy a vial of Humalog insulin at their pharmacy over the counter, put it in a box with a frozen plastic soda pop bottle wrapped in zipper bags, put it in a box and mail it to me overnight. That is 100% legal for a Canadian to mail. It is also 100% illegal for me to receive it, and it may be stopped at the border.
Look at the last paragraph on this page. It seems to say otherwise, but I don't know how valid this is.

https://www.pharmacychecker.com/brand/price-comparison/novolog/100+u&252ml/

**U.S. government officials have stated that individuals who order non-controlled prescription drugs from Canada or other foreign sources (up to a three-month supply) for their own use are not being pursued or prosecuted - although it is technically not legal for individuals to import most prescription drugs. The U.S FDA regulates the safety and efficacy of medications sold in U.S. pharmacies. Medications dispensed from outside the U.S. are regulated for safety and efficacy by pharmaceutical/pharmacy regulatory authorities in other countries. Read how regulations may differ by country.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Novolog is a prescription and not over the counter in the USA. It is over the counter in Canada. And they seized insulin at the border if you read earlier in the page.

"The FDA and the CBP inspected packages at the mail facilities in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, and detained or seized 583 packages. Preliminary findings show that certain drug products from abroad, such as insulin..."

So... yeah, there's a risk of never getting it.

I could drive from Illinois to Canada, buy insulin, and drive home. If I have to do this to survive, I will become a smuggler. But, let me see if my prescription co-pay is way lower than the estimate. I will know tomorrow or Monday. It could be $45 for six vials, a three month supply. Cross your fingers and toes that it is. I hope my health insurance is going to work well for me in 2017. It was a disaster this year. 2017 has to be better.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have just reached Medicare age and had to change pharmacies--plus I have to buy Mr. Neely's Addison's drugs on top of it.

After searching on www.goodrx.com, I found that Walmart is my best bargain. It looks like Sam's Club might work better for you, with a stated price of $210.37 for a 10-ml vial of Novolog.

I frequently use GoodRx.com to figure out which pharmacy to use. I suggested it to another friend and he saved a boatload on his glaucoma meds by just using a different local pharmacy.

Here's what GoodRx shows when comparing prices of Novolog, 10 ml vials.

https://www.goodrx.com/novolog?drug-name=novolog&form=vial&dosage=10ml-of-100mg-ml&quantity=&days_supply=&label_override=Novolog

People pharmacies don't always have veterinary meds, though. If you ever need them, I recommend https://www.petrescuerx.com/ (Pet Rescue Rx), which has good prices and donates all profits to the animal rescue of your choosing.

Good luck! I love reading about your training adventures.

Marguerite

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I am so hoping you will get that lower co-pay............I know I could not afford my maintenance drugs without help from the state! Before my disease disabled me from working I ended up using up my retirement fund (IRA) to pay for my medical costs (my employer did not provide health insurance) ........ I became 'poor' and qualified for medical after I turned 62! Those years were rough!
Just 'one' of my maintenance meds is over $10.00 per capsule.......and since it is only 18mcg that makes it more expensive than gold!!!

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for telling me about Good RX. Hopefully things will work out next year. I really can't take the stress of having to choose between the mortgage and insulin. It made my life a constant scramble and hard. I can choose not to have cable to save money. I can choose not to buy a fancy new car. But, I can't choose not to use a medication that I really can't afford. I feel like I'm straining to making a Ferrari car payment on a Ford budget.

I am hoping i chose the right insurance plan this year, and hoping that all I have to come up with every month is a small copay. Coming up with thousands upfront before health insurance starts working adds a great deal of strain to my family every year. Chronic illness and high deductibles do not mix because we have to meet our high deductibles each year without a break.

That cannot be real. Must be a misprint. Right? No. That's from a real insurance plan from Illinois in 2017. That plan would have cost me $469 a month for a $20 coupon in December. And I have type 1 diabetes, not type 2, but the idea that an insurance company has deductibles so high that they essentially fund zero healthcare makes me seriously angry.

I hope I picked the right plan. I can't take another year like 2016.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Thanks for telling me about Good RX. Hopefully things will work out next year. I really can't take the stress of having to choose between the mortgage and insulin. It made my life a constant scramble and hard. I can choose not to have cable to save money. I can choose not to buy a fancy new car. But, I can't choose not to use a medication that I really can't afford. I feel like I'm straining to making a Ferrari car payment on a Ford budget.

I am hoping i chose the right insurance plan this year, and hoping that all I have to come up with every month is a small copay. Coming up with thousands upfront before health insurance starts working adds a great deal of strain to my family every year. Chronic illness and high deductibles do not mix because we have to meet our high deductibles each year without a break.

That cannot be real. Must be a misprint. Right? No. That's from a real insurance plan from Illinois in 2017. That plan would have cost me $469 a month for a $20 coupon in December. And I have type 1 diabetes, not type 2, but the idea that an insurance company has deductibles so high that they essentially fund zero healthcare makes me seriously angry.

I hope I picked the right plan. I can't take another year like 2016.
Nope You either pay or you pay, basically higher premiums generally not always mean less deductables kinda like car insurance, if I didn't have insurance my meds would be roughly $1000~$1200 a month. I'm lucky my new job covers all my health insurance, my co pays for meds is $120 a month, my old job paid half the insurance and my co-pays on meds were almost $300 a month.

So I understand, health insurance companies are bad but pharmaceutical are the worst, one of my scripts went from $89 for a month no insurance to $397 so they suck

41 - 60 of 592 Posts