Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a 5 month old toy poodle.

I am aware coats change into an adult coat but I was wondering how much thicker if at all that coat will be?
Right now my dogs hair is what I would consider very thin compared to my 2 year old standard who can grow a continental clip with no problem. But I was wondering if any of you have an opinion in his ability to ever even have the chance to be cut into a continental clip successfully?

what are popular cuts for thinner poodle coats?

Also note all the pictures but the one with the rhinestone were taken after I groom him... So I'm sure I'm not everything I could do as well to Thicken him up.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
He looks like he was groomed really short at one point. The reason why I say so is look at my girl under “poof” on the picture page. She has only been trimmed once since she has been born around 9 weeks near her hindquarters ((other than feet, base of tail, and face). I’m having a pro do her hair so I won’t screw it up before showing puppy class. If it wasn’t for that she would be shorter.

Right now he isn’t fluffed so it’s hard to tell how thick his coat is. He will go through coat change at some point (usually between 7-15months) and his coat will be totally different. Puppy coat is light and soft with some kinks. It’s like hold a soft wiggly teddy bear. It doesn’t hold shape really well and when adult coat comes it itshould be a harsher texture if they have the correct coat. You will know when they start going through coat change because they mat like crazy....for several months ?. Some people shave them during this time and then grow into a pattern.

·
Registered
533 Posts
His coat looks like a normal poodle puppy coat to me. Do you have a metal comb, pin type brush and slicker? If so brush brush brush everyday. If not look into getting them because he will just matt right back up. Check several times a day especially under ears and neck. After a rough play session I had one that I had to cut out(luckily it was on the neck that need to be trimmed anyways) and one on the ear leather that I was able to work out with oil and a comb. Drying with a force dryer really helps with keeping the coat nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I have a metal tooth comb, theres the classic ones and also additional one I use that I prefer because of the amazing handle. I also use this amazing weasel/ferret slicker on his legs/underarms.

for both the standard and the toy I use mane and tale shampoo and conditioner both diluted and i dont really have a problem. The puppy does have some skin flakes since I've shaved him but I've attributed it to just being a puppy?

I also use biosilk detangling and shine spray everyday when combing the standard. is this product okay for the puppy? Does anyone suggest a better daily combing spray? I'm sure theres already thread on that, but keywords and jargon I am ignorant on.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts