Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with Spoos, are they destructive? Jagger loves to destuff his toys, destuff beds, chew shoes, etc.... Peyton is laid back and only chews his food. What is your experience and do you feel this is a stage? Jagger is now 9 months old and Peyton is 7 months old.

·
Registered
478 Posts
YES - Wrigley has been very destructive. Mostly on things he can counter surf, get into a trash can for, or socks/ underwear he can get out of the dirty clothes hamper. Thankfully, he hasn't hurt bigger more permanent things, but I do always have to keep an eye on him and he is 18 months old. I keep hoping he'll outgrow it, as his parents are both very laid back...but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinnie was always chewing something up when he was younger, but has really grown out of that a lot. He still has an affection for shoes, but this too shall pass. :biggrin: Give them time to grow out of it and "manage" the situation by keeping inappropriate things put away and out of reach of young mouths. Dogs don't have "hands" like we do and use their mouths to explore their world.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Meau was a horrible chewer when she was younger - could not keep beds, blankets in her crate or they'd be GONE! She's gotten much better as she's matured, but she still loves to chew the heads/ears/arms/legs off of stuffy toys!

Lucy hasn't had a problem with chewing (yet?) :) I was picking teeth up off of the floor every day a few weeks ago as she was teething, but it always seemed that she picked appropriate things to chew (bones, kongs, tennis balls, etc.) and even when she was left alone and uncrated while we were at work, there was never anything destroyed when we came home! There's no way we could've done that with Meau when she was 5-6 months old!!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
He is only doing this because he is a baby!!! He will outgrow this I promise. But, just try never to have him out of your site. If you leave the house, put him in a crate so you always know what you are going to come home to. Give him loads of things he CAN chew, but it is okay to. KONGS stuffed with peanut butter, nylabones, and stuff like that... Good luck and hang in there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Matrix was rather destructive as a pup, but usually only during rainy days/days where he didn't get enough exercise (he was excessively hyper as a puppy). Perhaps your pup could use more exercise??

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
M mini boy rountinely performs "living autopsies" on stuffed toys! He can, in under 2 minutes, take just about any soft toy apart--those stuffed with polyfill or seatbelt material, doesn't matter! I should have named him "Frang." He seldom messes with stuff that's not his, though we did move an electrical cord or two away since he seemed interested in those when he was younger. Though he's only 9 months old, he knows "drop it" and "leave it" and is pretty reliable about complying. I am looking for the Sqwuggies Squeak & Tug Toy, made from firehose material, to see if that's something he can enjoy without destroying. He looks so sad when I take away a "dismembered" toy, only looking out for his safety--but he doesn't get that! If anyone has ideas for sturdy soft toys (he's got Kongs and ropes and other tuff bouncy things), let me know.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Chagall's Mom, I've had success with Skinneez stuffingless dog toys. Teddy has managed to dismember every PetCo brand stuffed toy* I've bought him within minutes, but all four of the Skinneez toys are still intact and he plays with them often.

Teddy loves pulling paper towels and tissues out of the trash, then shredding them all over the place. He also enjoys dirty socks and underwear that he pulls out of the hamper and will also occasionally come prancing into the living room with one of my shoes in his mouth, but he hasn't actually destroyed any of those items.

*even Santa was not immune and had a huge chunk of stuffing removed from his crotch.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Brandy (my red girl) liked to take stuffing out of her stuffed toys. Romeo on the other hand was a perfect puppy. He just never did anything wrong. Never chewed, never ripped, never destroyed anything. He also potty trained himself the first day. All I did was showed him the doggy door.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
That's cool--to hear of another "Chagall"! We happen to have some signed lithographs and prints done by Marc Chagall and that's how our mini got his name. It actually suits him rather well. Some folks just call him "Shaggy," and that's fine too!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
No, the Spoos are great. I have a male Whippet though who will eat all things paper, even when you are right there (sneaky little devil). We got paid for a reno job and put the money on the kitchen counter, and we were in the living room and he disappeared to the kitchen. We thought he was going for a drink. Uh,,uh...there were twenty dollar bills all over the kitchen and he had chewed five of them really bad. Thank goodness they could be salvaged!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy to hear that there is hope that he will outgrow this phase. He's driving me nuts!:doh:

·
Registered
216 Posts
As a puppy, my toy poodle destroyed beds, tore tissues, still steals them from our pockets and shreds them all over the floor. She also loved my underwear and I had to buy all new after she grew out of that stage. She never went for anything major but just recently she has had a go at a clipper comb and the top of the toothpaste tube. I had to prise a ball of horse muck out of her mouth this afternoon - Uhg. The waste bin has to have a lid on it as well. She only does this when she is bored.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I wouldn't use a muzzle. If I had to leave him unattended, I would just make sure he was crated. Otherwise, I would tether him to me and work with him to learn "leave" and "drop" using positive reinforcement methods. Using a muzzle is really like putting a band-aid on it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris used to destroy stuff when she lived with Sue, but she had a pile of energy and no real outlet either... and she was still younger.... and she was allowed free range to chew what she could find too!

She's now a bit older, she gets training to drain her mentally as well as exercise, and she's crated when we're not home. No problems!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
More exerisize might do the trick. Olie does not really chew to to much - he just loves to go get the socks and wash clothes from the basket.......and we never really corrected him on it, right now we ask for him to drop it and he does. He used to run like crazy but he has outgrown that, but he will literly tip toe real slow by you as if you won't see him lol - it is funny as hell.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gentry doesn't chew anything! He is very gentle with his toys... but our Shorkie will "murder" any stuffy that he can get his mouth on. It's common for us to enter a room and see stuffing EVERYWHERE. And Angus proudly sitting there with a deflated stuffy in his mouth. If Angus starts a stuffy and Gentry gets a hold of it, he will pull the rest of the stuffing out. But he will never start one by himself. He has a red teddy bear that he came with and he is ever so gentle with that. It's funny really. That bear is off limits to Angus. I KNOW he would murder it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts