Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished picking up garbage strewn all over the yard and repairing holes around rose bushes. Joanne had put the trash bag on the picnic table for me to carry down to the trash bin, but did not put it completely out of Opal's reach. Opal the Lab is very affectionate but incredibly destructive. She shreds dog toys, digs holes, prunes bushes, and generally makes the biggest messes of any dog I have ever owned or boarded.

I tried to tell Joanne that Labs were typically hyper, but she had fallen in love with a photo of her that she saw online. Opal was a rescue from Las Cruces, NM. She spent some time being trained by a prisoner and she does know commands and tricks, but she just tears up anything that is not nailed down. I have never had a dog so bent on destruction! Not even the Scotties! I have had to put away most of Zoe's toys - all the stuffed toys and a few others.

I have no idea how to deal with this kind of behavior. We have given her Kong toys that are more or less resistant to chewing and some big, tough, tennis balls. She plays with them but nothing holds her attention for very long, so she is soon in trouble.

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Some of that sounds sort of like either obsessive or maybe anxious behavior. I might try her with CBD oil to take some of the edge off and while she is in a calmer state you could do some training that would help her develop impulse control and give her more brain challenges that would help drain off some of that energy.

As an aside I would not leave her with tennis balls. Someone at my club just lost a lab because she choked on a tennis ball.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I have no advice other than reading Marley and Me if you haven’t already, at least for a good laugh.

Sorry things are so hard with your lab.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Is Opal getting enough exercise? A tired dog doesn’t have the energy to be destructive. That said, Buck would delve into an unattended bag of trash with the right smells. A neighbor’s Lab in Austin, had enough energy to power the city, especially with fetch.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
My neighbor has two labs, totally destructive. HIs next door neighbor had to get together with him to double fence the yard between them as the labs would get through the earlier fence and destroy his property. These re not outside dogs . When he walks them I go inside he walks them on a lunge line (like one I used when I had horses) and the one barks and jumps constantly while they walk. He laughs thinking its funny I had a lab who was the best, while my girls were growing up. We lived on 34 acres in rural GA at the time, she would go everywhere with them, never a problem and kept other animals off our property. Back then we had a mini farm with horses, goats, rabbits. And I even tried my hand at raising worms. LOL. We got her at 5 weeks old when the neighbors dog and he could no longer care for her. There seems to be two types of labs and they have distinctly different personalities, hunting stock, and block head. Mine was block head.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

My Lab, Bonnie was wonderful. They're not all hyper. She wasn't even hyper as a puppy...laid back and smart. I can't find any other pictures of her when she was young at the moment. She did do her fair share of chewing things up though. That was her only vise as a puppy. She chewed up my husband's shop vac attachments and the door jams in our new house. Grrr. But otherwise she was an awesome dog.

Is your dog young? Just be sure you give her plenty of jobs to do, things to occupy her mind that are acceptable and try to prevent, make inaccessible the things you don't want her to get hold of.

I had Bonnie when I still had horses and she went along when I went riding. She got lots of exercise and mental stimulation. And in those pictures when she was older, I lived in Idaho and she went hiking every day. If you don't have that sort of environment, try to emulate it with an obedience class or agility after that. Some dogs just need more involvement than others. If Opal is young, she'll probably calm down later. In the meantime, you can use that hyper activity to your advantage when training. Goofy dogs can be loads of fun to train. https://www.clickertraining.com/node/1721

My Doberman was my crazy puppy. He was difficult at first until I got more involved and started training him more in earnest. That's all he needed. Obedience practice has a global effect on behavior. And it's positive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts