Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[Edit by Super Moderator: Removed link from Go Fund Me page]

Hi all. My name is Arrietty. The story is in the link, but to keep it brief here, my girl Odile is in a lot of pain, both physically and mentally right now. About two months ago, she tore her CCL while we were playing fetch, but the vet I initially went to said it was just a sprain and would heal in about two weeks. I took his word for it, which I feel horribly for. Odile is only five years old and is unable to run and play like she used to. She's often just lying in my bed or her kennel and has just not been the same ever since. She was an olympic athlete with the energy she had, but the new vet I went to said that she's already lost muscle in her rear left leg as a result of not using it for so long, and surgery is absolutely needed if we ever want her to run again. I'm still job hunting through the pandemic, but even then, I won't be able to work for very long because I'm busy juggling my two majors (music performance and composition) in college. Please, if you have the means and are willing, follow this link and help my best friend have her fourth leg back. We are desperate, and I just want my girl to be herself again.
Thank you. -Arrietty
34360A00-0965-4D3D-9BA5-F441F9DAC98F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
You should look into CareCredit. I am honestly reluctant to give money to strangers. And with the pandemic I think you will find that many of us are financially in tight spots. Additionally I think you should look at insurance. It won't help you with this injury but can help you going forward.

I am sure some people will find this comment to be nothing that I should say, but I wanted a spoo when I was in college. However I couldn't afford a dog (had a guinea pig instead). I wanted a spoo when I finished grad school but had no yard and couldn't afford a dog walker. and had a very erratic work schedule. At that point my guinea pigs were gone and I kept several cats. One of them luxated her patella. the surgery was expensive, but it was my responsibility to provide the surgery she needed. I did a lot of substitute teaching that semester to cover it. I waited over 20 years to have enough money not just to get Lily but also to care for all of her needs (routine and otherwise), have moved to a home with a yard and to have a schedule that would be fair to her needs. I am just not sure you thought all the way through and past the idea that affording a dog is not just based on the price of the puppy. I don't envy the situation you are in, but certainly hope that you will be able to find a way to afford for surgery and physical therapy for her.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. I agree that applying for Care Credit sounds like the route you have to go at this point (make sure your vet accepts Care Credit, and if they don't, find one that does). If you feel you are not able to apply independently, try to find a co-signer. Unexpected vet bills for dogs are often very costly. I just paid some very pricey unexpected vet bills as well. If you are unable to get a loan through Care Credit, a rescue might be willing to take in the dog and pay for the surgery. This would mean rehoming your pet. Best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Vita here, speaking as Super Moderator.

Requests for money, particularly from new members who have no relationship to established members, is discouraged but currently not against the forum rules or TOU rules. No one knows them, or if the reason they are asking for money is legit.

Red Flags

In this case, Arrivalop, the original poster's profile says they are from Iowa. The veterinary receipt shown on the Go Fund Me page is stated to be from Frey Animal Hospital which has no address or phone number on the receipt which is odd, but I googled it and this hospital is from Iowa.

However Arrivalop's IP address was in Chicago when he/she created this thread and about two hours ago when they revisited PF. This may mean absolutely nothing, since Arrvalop could have made the thread while visiting relatives or friends in Chicago, but it is another red flag or area of concern from my point of view.

For these two reasons I have removed the Go Fund Me link in his/her post.

In a best case scenario in cases like these, the person requesting donations would be made directly to a vet hospital on behalf of someone requesting money. Unfortunately many vets will not get involved with Go Fund Me donations, although some might if they know the patient well.

Other avenues for those in financial distress is to ask friends and relatives, to try to sell something like (if applicable) a musical instrument no longer played that often, electronic equipment, high end athletic shoes, purses, jewelry, video games/systems, fishing rods, guns, etc; getting a small bank loan or to take on an unpleasant temporary or second job if one can be found.

In dark times like these, it comes down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for your dog, and what would your dog do for you if it could if you were in the same situation?

Also, here's the link for Care Credit.

Best wishes for Odile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vita here, speaking as Super Moderator.

Requests for money, particularly from new members who have no relationship to established members, is discouraged but currently not against the forum rules or TOU rules. No one knows them, or if the reason they are asking for money is legit.

Red Flags

In this case, Arrivalop, the original poster's profile says they are from Iowa. The veterinary receipt shown on the Go Fund Me page is stated to be from Frey Animal Hospital which has no address or phone number on the receipt which is odd, but I googled it and this hospital is from Iowa.

However Arrivalop's IP address was in Chicago when he/she created this thread and about two hours ago when they revisited PF. This may mean absolutely nothing, since Arrvalop could have made the thread while visiting relatives or friends in Chicago, but it is another red flag or area of concern from my point of view.

For these two reasons I have removed the Go Fund Me link in his/her post.

In a best case scenario in cases like these, the person requesting donations would be made directly to a vet hospital on behalf of someone requesting money. Unfortunately many vets will not get involved with Go Fund Me donations, although some might if they know the patient well.

Other avenues for those in financial distress is to ask friends and relatives, to try to sell something like (if applicable) a musical instrument no longer played that often, electronic equipment, high end athletic shoes, purses, jewelry, video games/systems, fishing rods, guns, etc; getting a small bank loan or to take on an unpleasant temporary or second job if one can be found.

In dark times like these, it comes down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for your dog, and what would your dog do for you if it could if you were in the same situation?

Also, here's the link for Care Credit.

Best wishes for Odile.
I just took screenshots from what the clinic sent me after I explained I was trying to fundraise. I use a VPN. I've asked friends and family, and so has my boyfriend, the current amount is all we could muster. I've already tried selling half my closet but no one seems to find interest in person nor on selling apps like Poshmark. For someone to assume I haven't tried doing all I can is insulting. I'm going to continue trying to reach out elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I'm sorry you're offended, and I specifically said, ..."Other avenues for those in financial distress is to ask friends and relatives, to try to sell something like (if applicable)..."

Part of my role here and of any good moderator of nearly any forum is to protect members. If you were an established member, meaning you'd been participating for many months or years and had friends here, the request would be no big deal; it would be up to their member friends to donate or not. At any rate, I hope you are able to gather the amount you need for Odile's medical care.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The fact of the matter is that when a person takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, that person is responsible for the cost of the pet, including the vet bills. This is the case even when rescuing a dog. When I rescued my dog, my first vet bill was $350, and that was just the normal stuff. Later on down the road, it was over $1000 for dental work and growth removal. Some people go into financial debt all because of vet bills, and there are many pets who end up back in rescues because owners could not afford to keep them. The cost of owning a dog might be something to think about, because trying to raise money for all major vet bills is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I am really sorry your dog is injured... like many people here, I self insure, and have a "dog fund" to cover potentially enormous vet bills.

I wonder if you have tried calling other vet clinics to see if you can find a lower price? I know some vet clinics range horribly in price and more rural clinics are sometimes cheaper. Otherwise, are there any local veterinary schools near you? I have heard occasionally, of low cost surgery there.

Best wishes for you and Odile.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
This is so distressing for you both. Following the posts above, I googled "canine cruciate repair low cost iowa" and found a link to the Iowa State U College of Veterinary Medicine. It's true that the teaching uni's may cost less so this is worth a look, I think. Your local Humane Society may also have recommendations for low cost surgical vet practices.

I looked at both surgical estimates and there are duplications in several costs, labs, meds, anesthesia, collar. The spay procedure itself is $245. I'm in the Kansas City area and a spay at the local low cost clinic is less, but that would mean two surgeries and it may not be the laparoscopic procedure. The cost of the repair is a lot but it doesn't seem to be outrageous.

Care Credit really is a good option for you even if you find a lower cost surgeon.

No one here ever wants to see an animal in pain, or an owner in pain because of costs and decisions which may have to be made, but it's all too sadly true that accidents and illnesses happen and are part of the cost of having and loving a dog, or any animal.

I sincerely hope you both make it thru this back to health and peace of mind. I'm sure you don't ever want to find yourselves in this position again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is so distressing for you both. Following the posts above, I googled "canine cruciate repair low cost iowa" and found a link to the Iowa State U College of Veterinary Medicine. It's true that the teaching uni's may cost less so this is worth a look, I think. Your local Humane Society may also have recommendations for low cost surgical vet practices.

I looked at both surgical estimates and there are duplications in several costs, labs, meds, anesthesia, collar. The spay procedure itself is $245. I'm in the Kansas City area and a spay at the local low cost clinic is less, but that would mean two surgeries and it may not be the laparoscopic procedure. The cost of the repair is a lot but it doesn't seem to be outrageous.

Care Credit really is a good option for you even if you find a lower cost surgeon.

No one here ever wants to see an animal in pain, or an owner in pain because of costs and decisions which may have to be made, but it's all too sadly true that accidents and illnesses happen and are part of the cost of having and loving a dog, or any animal.

I sincerely hope you both make it thru this back to health and peace of mind. I'm sure you don't ever want to find yourselves in this position again.
Thank you so so much for the advice. I never even thought about asking the university vets, thank you for the suggestion and wishes! <3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really sorry your dog is injured... like many people here, I self insure, and have a "dog fund" to cover potentially enormous vet bills.

I wonder if you have tried calling other vet clinics to see if you can find a lower price? I know some vet clinics range horribly in price and more rural clinics are sometimes cheaper. Otherwise, are there any local veterinary schools near you? I have heard occasionally, of low cost surgery there.

Best wishes for you and Odile.
I will look at the vet schools in my own and other universities, thank you for the suggestion! <3

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just took screenshots from what the clinic sent me after I explained I was trying to fundraise. I use a VPN. I've asked friends and family, and so has my boyfriend, the current amount is all we could muster. I've already tried selling half my closet but no one seems to find interest in person nor on selling apps like Poshmark. For someone to assume I haven't tried doing all I can is insulting. I'm going to continue trying to reach out elsewhere.
Something else to be aware of is that when a dog injures or tears a CCL/ACL in one leg, many times the other leg winds up with the same problem. So something to keep in mind in future and discuss with whatever vet ultimately does the surgery....they may advise more limited activity going forward, etc.

Hopefully you can get surgery for your dog soon and get her on the mend.

Reactions: Rose n Poos
1 - 13 of 13 Posts