Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 year old toy poodle named Jenna. She has such a sweet nature and I love her dearly. But lately she has started peeing a lot around the house and even in her bed. (This is so out of character for her). It is very diluted and usually quite a large puddle. We had her checked by a vet and they checked her urine for diabetes and there was no sign of it. She is not on any medication and does not have any other health problems. She is still eating and drinking good and at times even shows puppy-like spurts of energy.
I’m thinking that it may be the beginning of the end for her given her age and all.
I’d like to know if anyone else has had this experience or any suggestions on what might be going on. Thank you all for your feed back

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If the vet says she has no sign of infection or other pathology, I would guess it's probably just age related incontinence. Have you thought about having her wear puppy diapers around the house?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 14 year old miniature poodle that had the same problem my vet put her on a medication that I gave to her once a week and she didn't have any more problems you might ask your vet DES

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It not all that uncommon. There are really great medications.....however to get on them, you'll need a complete blood panel, urinalysis and possibly a sonogram of the belly area looking for masses. SOMETHING inside is causing the leaking....if you want to get to the bottom of it, do the testing to see what the problem is. If you want the simple, less expensive route, buy diapers. Beware of skin breakdown, such as occurs with nursing home incontinent humans.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would without a doubt have some bloodwork done. If the urine is very dilute then it could be some kidney issues. Cushing disease is also something to rule out. Please dont just stop here with your girl! I am actually a little miffed with your vet for just stopping at a urine sample and not recommending bloodwork if the urine was dilute.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
When my Holly was a baby she was a terrible pee-er. Then she would go outside, squat, pee for two seconds, and do this fifteen times. There was no infection or other problems. She went to a doggie chiropractor, and had several adjustments to her spine and voila...problem solved. Never peed in the house again. Maybe your old gal would benefit from some adjustments???

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sometimes it's caused by a lack of estrogen, especially in spayed females. Other organs besides the ovaries make estrogen, one of them being the adrenal glands, so normally after being spayed, there's still enough being produced that they're ok. Estrogen is important in keeping up the strength of the sphincters, especially that hold in urine, so if her body isn't producing enough estrogen, she'll lose control of her bladder. It's possible that she might need some estrogen supplement. I would defintely have a long conversation with a vet about options. After the blood test rules everything out, talk about estrogen supplement and PROIN, which is another name for the DES that was mentioned earlier. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts