Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 16 year old cat, Winston and of course we have our Bobby the Spoo. They have the most interesting relationship and I never quite know what to make of it. Are they friends? Do they just tolerate each other? Who really calls the shots? I still laugh out loud when I thought getting Bobby as a puppy would result in him never chasing the cat! LOL!!! He is much better but it has taken quite a bit of management and training. It has been a slow process but for the most part it’s pretty good now. All of Winston’s stuff is downstairs and he is fed there too and Bobby is not allowed down there.

Winston is used to dogs so I wasn’t actually too worried for him whenwe got Bobby. He got along with our other dogs quite nicely and we have the dog and cat thing pretty well figured out. We used to have 4 cats along with a dog. Bobby is the only dog that actually cat chases. Our other dogs never did. At this point, Bobby‘s cat chasing behavior has decreased significantly but because he still does sometimes, especially in the evening and when Winston saunters back and forth in front of him, they are never left alone together when we are gone as when Bobby chases he is very rough. But here’s the thing...They sleep on the bed together at night, sniff each other and even drink out of the same water dish together. We have this new thing that started about a month ago though, where Winston wants to eat Bobby’s food. He will go to the bowl and Bobby will just sit there and let him or move away if Winston comes up to his bowl. Winston definitely seems to be calling the shots here. Now I do not let it happen as I don’t think it’s a wise idea to let Winston eat Bobby’s food. Bobby needs to know his food is his food. I keep things very calm as I remove Winston from Bobby’s bowl but since he keeps going back I just put him in the bedroom now until Bobby is done eating. I just find this so fascinating though. It’s not a huge problem and it’s quite manageable but I am surprised at how Bobby just let’s Winston have his way. And Winston has never, ever hurt him because he has no claws, at all. We adopted him at 1 year and he came to us that way. Needless to say, he has never scratched any of our dogs. I just find this fascinating and I am truly grateful Bobby doesn’t resource guard his food, which is why I think it’s so important not to let Winston eat his food as I don’t want that to possibly develop...another reason I make it all no big deal.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Olive is a "not dog - small animal" killer, which means, if is is not a dog and it it small, she will try to kill it! Make sure Winston is safe and happy around Bobby. I hope they become friends if they are not allready.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a beautiful relationship complicated only by that pesky prey/chase drive.
That’s a perfect explanation !!!😊
The prey/chase drive has definitely been a pesky thing. What’s even funnier is I had wanted a rescue greyhound for years and almost adopted one but then decided against it because of prey drive! While many are cat friendly there is no guarantee. I read white cats can be a trigger. So we decided on a Spoo puppy. 🤣 I guess I was pretty naive about poodle prey drive. It’s all pretty good though, as you can see. It was just more than I expected.

·
Super Moderator
9,142 Posts
That’s a perfect explanation !!!😊
The prey/chase drive has definitely been a pesky thing. What’s even funnier is I had wanted a rescue greyhound for years and almost adopted one but then decided against it because of prey drive! While many are cat friendly there is no guarantee. I read white cats can be a trigger. So we decided on a Spoo puppy. 🤣 I guess I was pretty naive about poodle prey drive. It’s all pretty good though, as you can see. It was just more than I expected.
View attachment 471907
Bobby's such a good boy. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
A good example of nature vs nurture I suppose. Nurture says dont chase the cat, nature says chase it! I guess its the movement which triggers the drive. Also makes sense that it happens in the evening when he is tired.

Who hasnt snuck into the kitchen for an unhealthy snack at 11pm? Even when you promised yourself to eat better? Its a lot harder to keep your basic instincts in check when you are tired. Inhibitions take work and energy to maintain.

This is also why i have decided not to get a cat even though I love them. They have a long lifespan and I promised my SO that we will get a fox terrier in the next 10 years or so. Plus I have gerbils, if we have prey driven dog, a cat and gerbils we would essential have an entire food chain in our house 😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts