Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My toy Charlie has a sensitive stomach so we don't mess around with any treat-like dental chews, and canine toothpase can upset him too. I'm thinking of trying dental wipes, does anyone have recommendations that work?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
If you are going to try wiping his teeth with a wipe, might as well brush them. Wiping won’t do much.

I’m sure you can find toothpaste for sensitive stomachs, or even just use water. Brushing is the only thing that will keep your dog away from having a dental cleaning under anesthesia.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I haven't used the wipes. I use Oratene enzyme gel and water additive though, and I think they would probably be perfectly fine for a sensitive tummy. Some people brush with the enzyme gel. Most days I just put it along the gumline. I do occasionally still brush. My dog actually loves the oratene gel, though to me it is tasteless. Maybe he just likes the feeling of it in his mouth.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
I haven't used the wipes. I use Oratene enzyme gel and water additive though, and I think they would probably be perfectly fine for a sensitive tummy. Some people brush with the enzyme gel. Most days I just put it along the gumline. I do occasionally still brush. My dog actually loves the oratene gel, though to me it is tasteless. Maybe he just likes the feeling of it in his mouth.
Do you have a link to the one you use? I can only find the gel for serious conditions, which has a warning that it should only be used short-term.

Peggy hates the toothpaste we've tried.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Do you have a link to the one you use? I can only find the gel for serious conditions, which has a warning that it should only be used short-term.

Peggy hates the toothpaste we've tried.
Raindrops, I would be interested in a link to the product you use as well.
Of course. Here's the two things I use.

Oratene wasn't specifically vet recommended to me, but I do use Zymox ear cleaner as my vet recommended so I know it's a good company. I know oratene is often vet recommended as well. They're definitely meant for everyday application. I tried Petzlife oral care gel first as that one's super popular, but Misha hated the taste. Oratene is great because it has no taste.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
(I can't believe my vet didn't recommend this stuff when Gracie abruptly started having dental issues. I feel sick. :()
Don't feel bad. Almost all small dogs have dental issues. I think it's hard to completely avoid no matter what you do. I only started really using stuff consistently because Misha's had some bouts of nasty breath off and on. His teeth do look pretty good though he still has some staining despite his young age.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My older pup just got the remainder of his teeth pulled. I felt sick that it got to that point and cried really hard when I dropped him off and picked him up; but, at 9 years old, and it was the best thing for him. I really do not want that for Miracle, and fortunately she allows me to brush her teeth. I love this forum and am so thankful for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts