Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one seen all the adds on FB regarding teeth whiting Dental wash from Petlab Co. you put in your dogs water to get rid of plaque and tartar from their teeth? My vet recommended Vetradent Biotrate water additive but my poodle will not drink the water. I am looking for something to help with plaque and tarter in between cleanings. She will not let you brush. Any reply is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
What about something like Maxiguard Oral Gel? We were prescribed this by our vet, but it's available on Amazon too. The directions say to apply it on the gumline, but my vet said just to squirt some in Jessie's mouth once a day while I'm learning how to brush her teeth well. Jessie will actually lick it off my finger.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxiguard-Oral-Gel-4-oz/dp/B000FUOCOA/ref=asc_df_B000FUOCOA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242026599311&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4895899801985098397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012420&hvtargid=pla-402157165676&psc=1

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
I don’t know about this one but I’ve tried a few similar products and there is only one way to keep your dog’s teeth white and without tartar : brushing.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Tonka - a Standard - gets his teeth 'brushed' after every meal with a raw Chicken back. The soft bones have been scrubbing the plaque off for years. They stay pearly and I never go near him with a toothbrush.

Is there something comparable that would suit a Toy I wonder...

Maybe Frogs legs??? ;)

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I brush my girl's teeth but in the incidences where I can't I use a gel called TropiClean Clean teeth gel (it works better to brush with it but is not necessary) You just put two drops to each side of the mouth for removing plaque & tartar..Moly loves this stuff so much that all I have to say is "Molly you wanna brush you teeth?" and she comes immediately LOL! Another product is a spray called 'Plaque Attack' which she is not too crazy for......it has a strong peppermint taste/smell but it is a spay and easy to use. I tried water additives but she will not drink them! I think it is a matter of finding something palatable to your dog and also spending time training them to allow tooth brushing (I started by at first giving Molly a tasty loaded toothbrush to lick and play with as a puppy)

Reactions: Jan Ann

·
Registered
353 Posts
None of my dogs have been willing to drink the water additives either.
I do remember there are some chews that are treated with tooth cleaning enzymes- Oradent? Can't remember the name.
For a small dog, chicken necks are a great option. Turkey necks are the next size up. Both have lots of tendons that floss between their teeth.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Honestly colodial silver works pretty good. But I'm also currently testing a new ultrasound ( not a typo) toothbrush that doesn't vibrate unless you want it to.
Paired with the toothpaste, you don't even have to " brush" just hold onto each tooth.. You should see the before and after groomers are getting using these!
The brand name is " cleany teeth" in UK. "Mira pet" in USA.
I have only just started on my own poodles, I noticed good breath immediately. And dogs handle it much better than brushing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts