Poodle Forum banner

What do you do for dental health?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, what do you all do for dental health?

Personally I brush daily (most of the time) and give raw bones on occasion, as well as a greenie here and there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd love to be able to say I brush daily, but that would be a lie! LOL! I brush whenever I remember, use dental bones, and sometimes use tooth wipes. I'm curious to know if anyone uses a water additive? Are there ANY water additives out there that are safe, and not loaded with chemicals?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I'm still waiting for all of Lucy's teeth to fall out and her adult teeth to come in :lol: I think we're almost there! I've picking teeth up off the floor for the last week or two. :scared: I love how raw bones and chew toys can help dogs help themselves - it's less invasive than sticking my hands in their mouths every day (although I do check all my dogs' teeth regularly - and even my 10+ year old Hannah Banana has nice teeth - no obvious tartar or redness in her gums)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I brush Paris' teeth whenever I can, which generally works out to about weekly. Jak, I use a finger brush thingy, and doggy tooth paste. :) She also gets rawhide etc and raw bones.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a brush for Flip at work that looks more or less like a human tooth brush but with a slighty different shaped and angled head. At home I use a kid's spinbrush on him. I use vanilla mint C.E.T. stuff, but he likes the poultry stuff better I think.

I don't like those water additives. they all seem to contain Xylitol, which is awful for dogs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I give them chew bones, dental bones, and supposedly their kibble is good for their teeth too.

I plan on when we have a little extra money getting their teeth cleaned at the vets

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm a little embarrassed that I don't brush Desmond's teeth more often. We had a nice routine going of every other day (or daily) before he started losing his teeth, when I stopped because I didn't want to hurt his achy mouth. Ever since he got back his adult teeth, we don't brush NEARLY as often as I'd like... I just forget. :\ His teeth are starting to look a little gross now though and I was going to brush them this afternoon, and then I fell asleep. :doh: He has chews around all the time though- bones, rawhides, hooves, etc.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Riley has had a raw diet for most of his life, so his teeth are Great! No gingavitis, no tarter, no redness. My vet is amazed everytime she looks at him. He is an (almost) 8 year old poodle, and poodles are Known for having Horrible teeth! No doggy breath either. :D
I dont/cant brush my cats teeth, and i feel bad about it. I just do a dental on them when they are really bad.

If Rys teeth wernt so good from his food then i would brush them. I would not let it get to the point like the beagles teeth i cleaned the other day (literally a full 1/4" thick chunk of tarter over half of her top teeth, and both upper premolor teeth- the really big ones- had to be pulled).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts