Poodle Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
I'm so glad to hear your girl is doing well after the extractions. She really will feel better after she heals.

Kontiki, I was surprised to find that adult dogs have 42 teeth!

Incisors – The small teeth in the front of your dog’s mouth, used to tear meat from a bone and for self-grooming. Your dog has a total of 12 incisors, six on the top and six on the bottom.

Canines – These are the pointy teeth on the top and bottom of both sides of the mouth, sometimes referred to as “fangs.” These four teeth, two on top and two on the bottom, are used to puncture and hold on to something and are what make dogs so good at tug-of-war.

Premolars – Located behind the canine teeth, these 16 teeth (eight on top and eight on the bottom) are used for shearing. If you catch your dog chewing on something with the side of his mouth, he’s using his premolars.

Molars – These flat, heavy-duty teeth are found in the back of the mouth and are used for grinding and chewing. You’ll find four molars on the top of your dog’s mouth and six on the bottom.

Ouch - she must have been so uncomfortable. You were absolutely right to get them sorted, and I suspect you will be surprised at how much better she is once the gums have healed.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.