Poodle Forum banner

Dental cleaning next wk for toy poodle

9K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  fjm 
I’ve never had a cleaning done, but I’m a nut about keeping my dogs clean, inside and out... Just can’t bear it. Some people I’ve known have their dog’s teeth cleaned every once in a while, and they do just fine. Your girl definitely needs a cleaning, some of the teeth on the right look like they might need pulled, unfortunately. Infections in one part of the body can spread to other parts.

If it makes you feel better, a large part of this is not your fault. Those teeth look very off-center to me, and any sort of tooth removal was bound to happen at some point, infection or broken or otherwise. It may actually be beneficial for her to have some of them removed.

I've read that something as simple as wrapping some bandage gauze around your finger and gently "brushing", especially with a good doggie paste, will help keep their teeth clean.
What my own dentist told me, when he noticed that my teeth were less than stellar, is that it doesn’t matter how hard you brush, just how often. This is because brushing removes the surfaces and goop that the tartar (who knows if I spelled that right) lives and grows on. So, that’s why they recommend you brush and floss twice a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.