Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Birthday to the Gracy/Starbuck litter! They turned 1 on January 26. Here's a picture of Delilah cut into pattern (please excuse the sloppy handler and the red eye).

Clearly there is still work to do:

Those rosettes need to come forward a bit. The problem is that Delilah has a very long rib cage (this is good) and the back of that jacket is actually sitting on her last rib. The front bracelets need to come down just a bit and the jacket has too much on the front still (needs trimming at the elbow too). Still, all in all, a nice start. I'm shooting for June to bring her out. I want her in full, big hair. I'm having some difficulty because she constantly scratches at her bands and she has ripped out big chunks.

What to like about Delilah:

Nice head with good length of face (equal distance stop-occiput/stop-nose)
Nice underjaw
Good bite
Good eye color
Great depth of chest and excellent body
Very good coat.
Nice tail set and carriage.
Nice feet.
Good Bone.
Nice looking angles in back
Big, pretty side picture when moving
Nice carriage
Clean on the down

What's not to like:
Ugly eye.. loose and round
Sunburned coat ( the downside to a Brown)
Could use more length of neck
Thick through the tuck-up
Needs more forechest
Swings front legs in on the back.

The movement thing is my biggest concern. She is not moving straight in the front and I think that it is because she doesn't have enough forechest to hold her legs in place. Moving her more slowing on the "back" helps, as will scissoring her front bracelets closer to minimize this visually. I'm also hoping that some concentrated road work will build up the muscles necessary to carry her straighter.

All in all, a finishable bitch I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Happy Birthday to the Gracy/Starbuck litter! They turned 1 on January 26. Here's a picture of Delilah cut into pattern (please excuse the sloppy handler and the red eye).

Clearly there is still work to do:

Those rosettes need to come forward a bit. The problem is that Delilah has a very long rib cage (this is good) and the back of that jacket is actually sitting on her last rib. The front bracelets need to come down just a bit and the jacket has too much on the front still (needs trimming at the elbow too). Still, all in all, a nice start. I'm shooting for June to bring her out. I want her in full, big hair. I'm having some difficulty because she constantly scratches at her bands and she has ripped out big chunks.

What to like about Delilah:

Nice head with good length of face (equal distance stop-occiput/stop-nose)
Nice underjaw
Good bite
Good eye color
Great depth of chest and excellent body
Very good coat.
Nice tail set and carriage.
Nice feet.
Good Bone.
Nice looking angles in back
Big, pretty side picture when moving
Nice carriage
Clean on the down

What's not to like:
Ugly eye.. loose and round
Sunburned coat ( the downside to a Brown)
Could use more length of neck
Thick through the tuck-up
Needs more forechest
Swings front legs in on the back.

The movement thing is my biggest concern. She is not moving straight in the front and I think that it is because she doesn't have enough forechest to hold her legs in place. Moving her more slowing on the "back" helps, as will scissoring her front bracelets closer to minimize this visually. I'm also hoping that some concentrated road work will build up the muscles necessary to carry her straighter.

All in all, a finishable bitch I think.
I love her rear also She is nice. Is Laurel showing her ?

When you say she is thick through the tuck up are you talking about her flank skin being excessive ?

My friend calls them flippers LMAO ( I have no idea why she made that word up) I just say they are flanky.

I would like to see more head shots if you can, I love nice heads I guess I am jealous because Enzo's head is broad skulled. I keep telling Becca (Argons mom) I wish I can put Argons head on Enzo's body and then I would be happy hahaha

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
cbrand she is lovely for sure Thanks for sharing .. She has a nice tight little body. I agree that she is finishable I would love to see her move :)
I think she is a stunner. .

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love her rear also She is nice. Is Laurel showing her ?

When you say she is thick through the tuck up are you talking about her flank skin being excessive ?

My friend calls them flippers LMAO ( I have no idea why she made that word up) I just say they are flanky.

I would like to see more head shots if you can, I love nice heads I guess I am jealous because Enzo's head is broad skulled. I keep telling Becca (Argons mom) I wish I can put Argons head on Enzo's body and then I would be happy hahaha
I will try to get some head shots. She doesn't have a BEAUTIFUL head, but it is feminine and pretty enough. I think the judges will appreciate that she actually has a chin which so many show dogs don't have today. They have these long faces with a nose stuck way out on the end.

Yes, Laurel will show her, BUT, only if she is in perfect hair. I have my work cut out for me.

She is wide through the flank (aren't we all). This can be visually minimized by leaving the rosette a bit lower. I don't think it is too dumpy, but it is not ultra-feminine. Looking at those pictures again, it is also clear that the rosettes are not even. They are higher in the back which is making her look high in the rear.

This is actually the second attempt at putting Delilah in pattern. I cut her out in November, but I didn't like where I put the rosettes so I shaved them off. These are the new regrown ones and they still need some adjusting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
She's beautiful! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the run down on her build and grooming. It really is very good information for those of us still trying to learn!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I know the sunburnt hair isn't good.. but I think her little orangey highlights are adorable! :x Don't kill me..

She's a beautiful girl! Good luck in you shows! ^^

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
nice!! And yes I can see the tweaks for the trim, but she does look good, and the HAIR!!!! Nice. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow she is really pretty! I love her coat color, orange highlights and all! It's such a nice thick rich coat. Very pretty!

·
Registered
263 Posts
She is beautiful....I too would like to see more head shots! Can't wait to follow her show results! How exciting for you!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Very nice! Great groom job! Is she a chocolate? Hard to tell from the photo, but either way she is a beauty!
Woops you said chocolate! :whip: Lol - I think she said brown and a pretty one too - just a little sunkissed! I love highlights personally:)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know. I'm a stickler about the Brown vs. Chocolate thing.

I think she is actually a Cafe. If you look at her rosettes and her "roots", she is quite dusky. She also has a lot of grizzling in her coat which lightens up her color.

I guess this begs the question... Is she a Cafe or a bad Brown. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
She is a very pretty girl, definitely a head turner.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I know. I'm a stickler about the Brown vs. Chocolate thing.

I think she is actually a Cafe. If you look at her rosettes and her "roots", she is quite dusky. She also has a lot of grizzling in her coat which lightens up her color.

I guess this begs the question... Is she a Cafe or a bad Brown. :)
So would you consider a cafe just a faded brown or is it actually a color I still am confused about this !

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So would you consider a cafe just a faded brown or is it actually a color I still am confused about this !
I don't really know either. Blue is clearly its own color. It is not just a faded Black. But Cafe? Delilah's coat definitely has a duskiness to it along with the white hairs (see tail). I just don't think her final color could legitimately be called Brown.

The funny thing is that her Black littermates are INKY Black with no grizzleing. Her Brown brother, however, is fading.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts