Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
I moistened kibble with water and per my breeder’s instructions added a topper to keep it interesting - a sprinkle of last night’s dinner protein, cottage cheese, yogurt. That said, Gio is probably so excited about his new home, his new people that he’s not quite comfortable tucking into his food with all the wonderful distractions. Give him a minute. Darling pictures of your puppy, btw!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Poodles do tend to be picky eaters. They will eat enough to stay healthy, but they tend to stay very lean (as in you can easily feel their ribs, but not so thin that there is a depression between ribs).

Before you try to change the kibble, try adding things such as cottage cheese, shredded cheese, green or yellow vegetables, or apple pieces. My dogs are crazy about broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, and green beans. Don't overdo it, just add a little for a tastier meal - and healthier, too. You can also add a little canned food and warm water and stir that up. Beware of canned food, though, many brands are just junk. My very favorite brand is Wellness - they have cans that are just meat - lamb, chicken, beef, turkey.

There is a web site called dogfoodadvisor.com that evaluates dog foods. You might check that out for ideas.

Gio sure is cute!

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I wouldn't change a thing yet, puppies are very excited about all the new changes every single one of mine were too busy to eat. After a week they tended to settle down and eat.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Changing home is a big step for a puppy. Often they don’t eat as much for the first few days. Give him time before you change anything or you will make him picky. You can try playing a little bit with the food or hand feeding, but not too much, you want him to eat on his own.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You already hv advise but my breeder had me ass a tablespoon of purina pro plan grain free to his kibble. I still do even though I've now changed kibble. I mashed it and mix it well. Renn isn't a big eater but most days will eat both his meals.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
He looks great. What a nice coat! How does he like the snow?

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Tired from running in the snow I guess. It is really hard to take good pics of black dogs. Thank goodness for digital instead of film. Delete blurry, delete blacked out, delete dog ran out of frame....oh there's a good one!

Reactions: jacqueline

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
AWWW but what a CUTE black blob he is!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
He is adorable, yes agreed photos are difficult to take on a black poodle. But as Lillycd has said going thru digital photos is a lot easier.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gio is so cute in all these photos! I hope things start settling down for you at night. It is so hard getting up frequently and being tired. My guy is a few weeks older than Gio and we went through something similar for several weeks. I ended up sleeping in the guestroom with his crate right beside me so I could get up throughout the night. After a negative parasite panel and two worm treatments we determined it was most likely a food intolerance. After starting over with a different kibble I am now slowly adding new things one by one to mix with that kibble. So far so good! Glad you were able to change vets because they should have checked that you got their message. Hope things get resolved soon for little Gio!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the insight. PF has truly been so helpful thus far. Gio now sleeps in his crate from 9pm- 6am. He’s 15 weeks. I think the improvement is largely because he was treated for the hookworms. He’s getting a bit more freedom in the house at times so that is fun. We must watch him around the younger children because they excite him so much that he nips. I hope that phase doesn’t last too long. We had to stop obedience class due to his parasite issue but will start again in January. I’m thinking of changing his name though- Open to suggestions if you’re inclined. It just hasn’t seemed to stick 100%.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Gio at about 13 weeks. Is there any reliable calculation to estimate his full grown weight? He is 17.5 lbs now.
Yes, knowing his parents' weights :) I used charting to predict my dogs' adult size and it was totally accurate for Maizie, but Frosty was charting to be much bigger than where he finished. They both are right in the range of their parents in height and weight.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts