Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. Our poodle has degenerative myelopathy along with mild to moderate arthritis. Has anyone here dealt with DM?
My next question is about physical therapy. That's fine with us, but Chloe has super bad separation anxiety. She's also very noise phobic. She's been to one session of PT and she could not wait to get out of there. Would you continue PT with your poodle acting this way?
I don't want her last months of life full of stress and anxiousness. We are very torn. We do not want to be bad poodle parents in either direction.
Also, I should say she'll be 12 yrs old in February.
The siggy pic is very old and because of her phobias, her 'career' in agility was very short lived.
We would appreciate any advise we could get. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I'm sorry you and your girl are going thru this. I have not dealt with it myself. I think PT will give her more time or so I've read . But only you know your dog. I think, I would speak to the PT and see if they can make a program for you to do at home if staying with your dog and working with her in coordination with the therapist isn't feasible.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I am so very sorry you and your precious dog are going through this. I have dealt with it before. Our GSD got it at age 9 and had to be put down at 10. We didn't know about those carts or they may not have even had them back then. It's been years. It's very hard to watch them progress. I believe they can progress and be affected a bit differently. Some go faster, some more gradually. Our GSD was healthy in every other way and it got so sad watching him want to chase the ball when the kids were outside playing. He'd start to get up and then think...not worth it and would lower himself back down. He just slowly lost control of the hind end like you're seeing. Eventually, he lost control of his bowels and I'd have to carry his 100 lbs up the stairs. The poor dogs get frustrated that they can't do anything and that's what's so sad. When their joy is over shadowed by their inabilities, that is when we figured it was time to send him on his way. The most crushing sadness. I'm so very sorry.

It's a terribly debilitating disease but thankfully, it doesn't cause pain. The arthritis of course does. I'm just so sorry.

To answer your question about the physical therapy...no, I would not continue with that if it were me. I don't know anything about the physical therapy and why it helps but if it does maybe you can do something from home. If he's stressing out at that place, that's just wasting his time that he has left. You can do some massaging and whatever you think might make him feel better but remember, it's the loss of feeling back there so he's not in pain from this unless he's having muscle spasms. Our dog didn't have that...just that loss of coordination. As you know, nothing is going to reconnect those nerve cells communication with each other to bring back the control. It's a darn shame.

·
Premium Member
23,565 Posts
I am sorry to see you are dealing with this. I agree with Mufar and see if the PT can develop an at home program.

PBG I am sorry to see you have had to deal with this in your GSD.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I don’t think I would do it with a 12 year old dog. At home, yes, but not in a non-familiar setting if that triggers her anxiety.

I don’t know what her prognosis is, but to me pain management would be a priority (ie appropriate meds), along with keeping her life the way she likes it. I think it’s not a time where her routine should be drastically changed and stress increased.

I’m sorry she is going through this. And you too, it must be hard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input and replies.
I feel better now for wanting home therapy. The specialty clinic was making me feel quilty.
You ladies are very wonderful. I love coming to this site for information, knowledge, and opinions.:love2:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your beautiful girl :( I also would not put her through anything stressful and would do more of a palliative care or hospice plan. I am not one for extending a life when it brings more suffering, for humans or for animals. Sending you hugs. I'm sort of going through the same stage with my Maltese who has multiple health conditions and is easily stressed by vet appointments.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I don't know anything about DM - it sounds terrible. All I can do is sending you ((HUGS)) from Alabama. Y'all are now on my prayer list.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Sillyspoo...you'll get through this. It's hard to watch them when they get frustrated but keep remembering that those wobbly legs aren't feeling pain from this. They are probably not as miserable as we are watching them because dogs are so adaptable and tolerant of things. It's hard to separate our human experience-driven feelings from theirs. They get frustrated eventually but it's just not quite as deep a sadness to them I don't think as it is too us looking on. They don't know their future, aren't thinking about it or thinking through in a logical way their demise. So, try to enjoy the time you have and be happy with your dog and she'll be happy too right up to the end. Try not to let her see into your feelings of sadness too much if you can. Hang in there.

MF...I'm so sorry for little Zooey. I loved her when I visited you. She is the sweetest thing. It's just a darn shame when they have such troubles. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your opinions. Y'all are wonderful and have been a great help.
Chloe's appointments at PT have been cancelled.

- MaizieFrosty - We're sorry you're going through similar issues with Zooey. I'm also adding you and yours to my prayer list. Hugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts