Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...please send some quick healing vibes to Bella the Big Brown Poodle tomorrow as she gets spayed. :nailbiting: And I welcome any post-op suggestions you may have for us. I did find a vet that will use the laser. They said we drop her off 8:30-9 and pick her up around 4.

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Good Luck Bella!

All the dogs I had spayed did great afterward! Sometimes with a same day pickup they will be a little groggy or naseous(sp) but they recover quickly

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Sending lots of prayers to precious Bella. Zulee gets spayed Saturday with the laser, so let me know what you think. I'm already getting nervous. It will be better when it is all done.

I can already see her at home. Recovering with her head in your lap. Safe and sound, she surrenders to the sleepies and starts snoring from having such a good nap!

What are you going to do tomorrow while she is at the vet? Will you be at work? Just curious. I can see myself being a nervous wreck all day. My vet likes to keep them overnight, but I really don't want Zulee to be there alone. We'll see what we can do.

I'll keep you both in my prayer's for a quick recovery.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Funny this thread is here today... I was just thinking about the thread I will start when it's Lucy's turn to get spayed and I wanted to do something like "WAAAAHOOOOO!!! I'm SOOOO excited and happy and thrilled to get my girl spayed!! It will be an AWESOME experience and I know that her recovery will be quick and complete!!" Or something like that... :) I guess I'm a firm believer in the "law of attraction" and since I like to attract positive experiences, I stay positive at all times and I'm usually right!

Good luck - stay positive (Bella will know if you're nervous - let her know this is a GREAT thing!!) I'll keep you both in my thoughts and I'll be looking forward to a positive update!! :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you going to do tomorrow while she is at the vet? Will you be at work? Just curious. I can see myself being a nervous wreck all day. My vet likes to keep them overnight, but I really don't want Zulee to be there alone. We'll see what we can do.
The kids have this entire week off of school, and I am seeing us being housebound with her the rest of the week so tomorrow we'll go do something fun so I don't have to think about it. This vet wants her dropped off by 9 am then they usually call you to pick up around 4 pm.

The kids being off is a blessing in that I CAN stay home all day every day if we need to (instead of the at least 1 hour round trip it I take them to school and then again to pick up), however, the kids being home also means it can make her wild and she won't get the same rest. I will just have to send them to play in the rooms if things get too crazy. Bella goes nuts when they play wildly/loudly without her.

Thanks everyone! I'm sure it will go fine, truthfully I'm much more worried about once she gets home and is in our care.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know anything about using a laser, but I would assume the healing will be quicker? L.E. Belle was spayed "the old fashioned way," and she did fine... I'm sure Bella will be up and around before you know it! (She sure is gorgeous!)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Good luck Bella!!! She will be fine!

I would not go into it thinking that just because she is having the laser that it will be an easier/quicker recovery time. Remember, licking and activity are the Death of surgeries!!! We have had to go back in surgically and fix the damage licking dogs have done. 5 Strict Days of rest at a minimum (we tell clients 10 days Hoping they will do 5-7)!!! Dont be afraid to use an E-collar if she starts licking either.
I prefer dogs to go home the same day if noone is with them at night at the vets. We dont have a night staff, so we just keep them most of the day and send them home. We would rather they go home and rest and be watched instead of nervous, pacing, excited, etc at the clinic.
When Riley has anesthesia he is really dopey for that day and it takes him a couple days to really get back to normal with activity and appitite. Depends on the dog.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I would not go into it thinking that just because she is having the laser that it will be an easier/quicker recovery time. Remember, licking and activity are the Death of surgeries!!! We have had to go back in surgically and fix the damage licking dogs have done. 5 Strict Days of rest at a minimum (we tell clients 10 days Hoping they will do 5-7)!!! Dont be afraid to use an E-collar if she starts licking either.
Thanks for the tips. I assumed she would have to wear the e-collar at all times when she wasn't immediately supervised for the whole 2 weeks so if we get anytime without it will be a blessing.

So should I leash her when I take her outside in the yard to prevent activity? She's a very active poodle out there (she's nearly completely worn down our grass!).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Good luck today, I am sure Bella is going to do great. :)

As far as e-collar, there is a much better product that I highly recommend. It's called a bite not collar. A lot of vets and some pet supplies have it. Here's the link:

http://www.bitenot.com/dog.html

It is so much more comfortable for the dog than the original e-collar.

As far as having her on leash it's probably a good idea. It depends on how quickly she bounces back and becomes energetic puppy. :)

Sending positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, i would leash her to be outside (on a 6' leash, not a flexi ;)). Im sure she will do just fine afterwards. If you can be with her and have her not lick then by all means take the collar off.

I like the bitenot for certain things. I have seen many dogs who were able to reach their spay/neuter incision as it is so far back they dont need to bend their necks that much. Depends how determined the dog is i guess.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She's home! Totally tired. She came in sporting her e-collar, let us pet her head for about 1 minute then as I was still wondering if she could fit into her x-pen with the collar on she pushed passed me, went in and curled up on her bed. She's hardly moved since, except to fidget. We even had dinner (she's in the dining room), the dog next door barked, nothing. Not a sound from her. Even though I 100% know this was the right thing to do, I feel awful. Dh said when he picked her up she wagged her tail at him.

The vet said we should keep the collar on solidly the entire 2 weeks. :( I plan to leave it on for at least a couple of days solidly but then take it off when she's laying right with us in the living room. Provided she's not trying to fuss with her stitches constantly.

They sent her home with pain meds for tomorrow and "as needed." How do I know? I plan to start her off in the AM with some anyway, but after that?

And the biggest shock!? THEY SHAVED A RING AROUND HER RIGHT LEG. :scared: She looks like I started to do a continental clip on her and got frightened and stopped. I know it's silly but I was totally not prepared for that! It looks ridiculous. How on earth are we going to make this look good? I'm taking her to the groomer in 2-3 weeks (after stitches are out and we get the OK).

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She's home! Totally tired. She came in sporting her e-collar, let us pet her head for about 1 minute then as I was still wondering if she could fit into her x-pen with the collar on she pushed passed me, went in and curled up on her bed. She's hardly moved since, except to fidget. We even had dinner (she's in the dining room), the dog next door barked, nothing. Not a sound from her. Even though I 100% know this was the right thing to do, I feel awful. Dh said when he picked her up she wagged her tail at him.

The vet said we should keep the collar on solidly the entire 2 weeks. :( I plan to leave it on for at least a couple of days solidly but then take it off when she's laying right with us in the living room. Provided she's not trying to fuss with her stitches constantly.

They sent her home with pain meds for tomorrow and "as needed." How do I know? I plan to start her off in the AM with some anyway, but after that?

And the biggest shock!? THEY SHAVED A RING AROUND HER RIGHT LEG. :scared: She looks like I started to do a continental clip on her and got frightened and stopped. I know it's silly but I was totally not prepared for that! It looks ridiculous. How on earth are we going to make this look good? I'm taking her to the groomer in 2-3 weeks (after stitches are out and we get the OK).

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. :D
Didn't get to read this yesterday... .. glad to hear everything went just fine. Sounds like she is acting very normal for having had surgery. She will be more herself tomorrow and even more the next day. Definitely give her the meds in the AM and PM tomorrow.. or if you notice she is in pain. You will notice if she is, she will be uncomfortable and act just like any person/animal in pain. I have never had to worry about pain after the third day on ones I have had fixed, but not all dogs are the same so just watch her.. she'll let you know if she needs them.

As far as the e-collar.... I see no reason you can't take it off in a couple days WHILE she is laying with you if you are going to keep a watch on her and just want to give her a break from it. Otherwise, follow the vets instructions.

LOL about the clip around the leg.... yep, for the intravenous. You will be surprised how fast it will grow out and I am sure your groomer can do a great job with a clip to accommodate it. By the time you get her to the groomer, it will have grown out a bit already.

Well, sounds like all is going well and Bella is going to be a happy girl in a few days. Bet she LOVES all the extra attention she gets from her people... she may just decide to drag out the "don't you feel bad for me" looks....LOL. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

I prefer dogs to go home the same day if noone is with them at night at the vets. We dont have a night staff, so we just keep them most of the day and send them home. We would rather they go home and rest and be watched instead of nervous, pacing, excited, etc at the clinic.
When Riley has anesthesia he is really dopey for that day and it takes him a couple days to really get back to normal with activity and appitite. Depends on the dog.
Thanks for the confirmation of what I was thinking. I would much rather have Zulee at home than alone in the vet's office. I'll talk with my vet and let him know how I feel.

I'm so glad you have Bella home. I hope you had a chance to enjoy the kids today. It sounds like she is on her way to a quick recovery. Keep us updated on progress. Sending ((Hugs))

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
LOL about the clip around the leg.... yep, for the intravenous. You will be surprised how fast it will grow out and I am sure your groomer can do a great job with a clip to accommodate it. By the time you get her to the groomer, it will have grown out a bit already.
Ugh this makes me mad! They don't have to do this you know. They just do it cause it's easier. When I had Izze spayed and tacked I asked that they not shave her so they didn't.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
They have to shave at least a spot on the leg to disinfect it properly, but no they didnt have to shave all around the leg. If we shave all around the leg it is usually FOR the dog, not because its easier. The tape will get stuck in the hair and we will have to rip it out. Its easier on the dog if the hair is short, its not laziness. At least they did a catheter!!

As for the e-collar staying on the whole time, we tend to treat clients like they are pretty stupid as most of them are. Most will go home and do what they want and cut times short (which is why we tell longer). As long as you are with her then you can take it off.

We send home 5 days worth of pain meds. I would recommend you give at least a couple days worth if not the whole thing. Most people would want pain meds after Major surgery for more then just 1 day. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts