Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day I went to the UKC show was the day I met the breeder in person. We have a great arrangement, we are co-owning this puppy. He's out of some great lines and I think he will be an easy puppy for me to show. He looks fantastic already and hopefully as he grows he'll maintain that and just get more mature. I realize he'll go through the uglies but that's to be expect. Just wish me luck on the grooming. She's going to help me and she just wants me to keep up with face, feet, and tail and when we go to a show she'll help with scissoring.

Before I went there and met the litter I had picked a female from the litter as the "one." When I got there and watched them, I left and couldn't stop thinking about him. He's a gorgeous puppy and he's going to be either blue or silver. I'll post pictures of him soon.

We planned on picking him up this weekend but it's been pouring here and we have too much mud so the other dogs are constantly needing to be washed or rinsed off to get mud off the feet. I just didn't want to go through that right when I get him. He will have to settle in as our pet and not just my show puppy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congratulations on finding your new poobaby!!! I hope he is everything you want him to be!
Can't wait to see pictures! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay these are pictures from 2 weeks ago but you can get a good idea of his form.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Congrats! Make sure that your co-owner agreement is spelled out in a written and signed contract so that there are no surprises or disappointments in the future.

What is the boy's pedigree?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By Request and Donnchada are the sire and dam. There are others of course. I've researched hips on this breeding and everything checks out fine.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the co-owners contract, which by the way isn't technically a legal and binding contract. I know this because attorneys have told me so. I will be signing it with her and we will be giving our word to these things and trusting each other. That's all you can really do.

Show puppy: Considered by the breeder to be within all breed standards, and offered on full registration. If the puppy is properly conditioned and shown by a competent presenter, the puppy should meet a judges scrutiny and be capable of winning points towards his/her championship. Buyer agrees to have puppy evaluated by their vet within 72 hours of purchase to confirm purchase of healthy puppy. Failure to pass "well puppy" exam will allow for return of puppy and all paperwork and full refund or replacement (when available) per Buyer's choice. After 72 hours, no monies will be refunded. Vet charges will be the full responsibility of the Buyer.
Puppy is being sold "as is." Being a living creature that will go through growth stages and developmental stress, I can not guarantee that the puppy will not be afflicted with hereditary related issues. Parents have been tested prior to breeding for related hereditary issues, and to the best of my knowledge are tested "clear". Should this puppy develop hereditary issues, a replacement puppy of equal or greater value will be made available at a later date. Hereditary issues will include hip dysplasia (up to 3 years of age); cardio issues (up to 5 years of age); thyroid issues (up to 5 years of age); eye issues (up to 5 years of age). The original puppy shall be spayed/neutered and a statement of that surgery shall be sent to the Seller from the veterinarian. If the original puppy is bred prior to testing, no replacements shall be offered.
Buyer agrees that the puppy shall be kept on a commercially prepared diet (per information in puppy package).
Buyer agrees to maintain the puppy on vaccination protocol outlined in puppy package per state requirements.
Buyer agrees to provide adequate food, water, excersize as needed by a dog of this size.
Buyer agrees to take the puppy through a basic obedience class between 4 and 8 months of age.
Buyer agrees the puppy is to be an "INDOOR" dog and provide a completely fenced yard for play/excersize.
Buyer agrees the puppy is to sleep indoors at night, and never be left outdoors in extreme temperatures or for extended periods of time.
Buyer agrees that the puppy will not be sold, or given away without first notifying Seller and will never be surrendered into a "Rescue" situation.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think the contract is pretty basic and nothing to worry about. We have co-owned dogs before and havent had any issues. He looks like a promising show prospect and you'll do good with a male to start with. Male's get put up more often then a female in the ring. Plus, later you can stud him out, take a puppy back and have another show prospect to work with.

Males give good opportunity in my opinion when starting out. Anyhow, congrats on your new addition. He's a handsome little guy.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the contract is pretty basic and nothing to worry about. We have co-owned dogs before and havent had any issues. He looks like a promising show prospect and you'll do good with a male to start with. Male's get put up more often then a female in the ring. Plus, later you can stud him out, take a puppy back and have another show prospect to work with.

Males give good opportunity in my opinion when starting out. Anyhow, congrats on your new addition. He's a handsome little guy.
Well, he was the breeder's pick. She had to give back puppies from this litter and they weren't interested in blacks (he looked black at the time) so while they did "consider" him they didn't ultimately want him because they wanted the creams. So she really wanted him in a show home because of how promising he does look. I had picked her black female but when I got there to look at the litter myself, I liked her but her head wasn't right for me. It was very short in the nose and her temperament wasn't what I was expecting either. I wanted a more outgoing dog to help me show it because I'm a novice and it's going to be a little more difficult with a novice and a dog that's very serious. The deciding factor was her nose and the fact that she was terrible on the table. The breeder is a professional groomer also and said she had tried with her over and over and she was consistantly difficult on the table. I loved this boy. I picked him up and could hold him in my lap like a baby. He is just an overall beautiful puppy and the temperament is outstanding. I went in just having to have a female and left wanting him. So when I went to her and said I had changed my mind she was thrilled. I think it also gave her more respect for my decision making because this is made based on what's smartest for me being the novice. I know that her little girl can win but it's going to take someone more experienced than me and probably traveling around to many shows in search of the judges that overlook the shorter noses.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So the couple of things I'm not seeing in your contract...

Will you co-own this boy forever or will the breeder sign off at some future date? Who pays for all of his showing and testing?

He may never get used as a breeding dog, but if he does, who gets his stud fee? Does this co-owner have unlimited access to him as a breeding dog? (i.e she gets to use him and any stored semen for free) Who is expected to manage his breeding schedule and the bitches that come to him? Who pays to store his semen if that is ever necessary? Will the co-owner be OK with you breeding this boy if he never finishes? Will this co-owner get a say in who your boy is bred to?

These are just some things to think about so that there are no hard feelings in the future.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, considering that neither of us are really interested in breeding, we haven't gone into a lot of that in length. I would discuss things like that with her regardless of how long our contract goes but the general idea is to co-own for 2 years. She just wants to be sure that he's taken into some shows but she's not requiring me to show extensively. She's not really a "breeder". She was required to breed one litter of puppies when she got her black bitch and that's the last time she wants to do that. We have talked about who is responsible for what as far as showing goes. If she has him and wants to enter him in specific shows she's going to pay entry costs and whatever other costs come along with taking him to that particular show. She will have more access to bigger shows because of where she's located and I will probably start out attending smaller shows to get my foot in the door. The testing will fall on me because ultimately he will be my dog and as far as bitches lining up to breed to him, I don't see that happening really. There are a lot of fabulous dogs out there and we are going to be small time people so unless I see a fabulous bitch that I just have to have a puppy out of, we won't be breeding him. We (both her and I) are strictly hobbiests, doing this for fun, not for breeding rights. I know what I'm capable of and what I'm not and really I'm not capable of having more than 1 show dog at a time so breeding isn't even a factor. I'm sure if I decided I'd go to her anyway to ask if she approved just because I want her to help me and guide me. That's what mentoring is all about.

These are good questions I'll address some of these with her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts