Poodle Forum banner

Daughter afraid of puppy

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tyler 
#1 ·
Hi, :crying:
We got a standard poodle puppy a couple of weeks ago, who is now 10 weeks old. We had a few issues at first but now he is doing wonderfully. However, our 4 year old daughter is afraid of the puppy. We keep him on leash around her (now) and his behaviour around her is improving - not nipping, lunging, etc. Our daughter is afraid of his bursts of energy and it is so bad that she doesn't want to be in the same room as him. We have an in-law suite and she always runs over there, sometimes spending the whole day with Grandma and Grandpa. We love this puppy but I miss spending time with my daughter - I am often playing with the puppy alone. She says she is afraid the puppy with "get her" with his paws or teeth. She always says "put the puppy in his pen so you can come play with me." We are heartbroken and considering sending the puppy back to the breeder so she can find a better home for him. He can't live in his pen. It is devastating to consider this as he is such a good puppy and we love him. :crying:

I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience and will it get better or worse as the puppy gets older/bigger and becomes an adolescent? I realize now that maybe our daughter is too young but he is here now and what do we do? We feel like we have tried everything but are wondering if it will get better (or worse) with more time? :crying:

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to take your puppy to an obedience class, aside from socialization it will help with communication between you and your puppy. Once the two of you start communicating well then that can be passed along to your daughter. The behavior isn't going to get better on it;s own but it will get better with a bit of work. Nothing really extra, just basic puppy manners :)

Try and find a class that is positive reinforcment based if you can. Those methods are safe for puppies (and children) of all ages. Maybe check out the association of pet dog trainers and go to the trainer search on their website. Type in your zip code and it should bring up some trainers in your area that you can contact.
You should be safe to attend training classes as soon as your pup has his second set of shots :)

#3 ·
We have a miniature poodle pup who is now 7 mths.

I have three kids 8,15,18.

My 6ft3in 18 year old is terrified of her! She lunges for him and leaps to tackle him.

She is powerful for a min.

Of course, he CAN fend for himself but certainly some people bring out the more crazy side of a puppy.

They do settle down with time but it takes a while.

I don't know what to suggest for your four year old!

#4 ·
Not tragic....

..but it sure sounds tragic.

As wonderpup suggests, you need to train the puppy, but it can't stop there. Your daughter needs to be in the relationship, too.
The dog needs to understand the pack hierarchy, with the dog at the bottom. She's already testing those relationships, and your daughter's fear puts the puppy in charge. That ain't gonna work.
If they are to grow up together, they need to be pals, but the human has to be the boss. The dog wants it that way, and you SURE want it to be that way.
Get some help from a professional dog trainer in your area. Your daughter should come to see the puppy as an adorable playmate, her new best friend, not as a beast who is going to "get her".

As I re-read your post, I'm wondering if your daughter sees the puppy as a rival for your affection? That may have something to do with your daughter's view of the dog....

#5 ·
I also agree with the other's. Attend basic obedience classes and just make your daughter get used to the puppy. I have two young kids (4 yrs and 1 yr) and they live with 5 dogs now. My husband just brought home a German Sheperd puppy Saturday that is being....well, a PUPPY! Both my kids aren't thrilled about the lovely sharp puppy teeth and that the puppy has some bad manners. Its just part of raising a puppy.

Plus if you decide to send the puppy back your daughter wont realize that dogs are wonderful and not just jumpy, biting, stinkers. Your pup will learn his manners fast and your daughter will eventually enjoy the fun having a dog brings. My son would be devistated with out the dogs we own. They sleep in his room and he makes them watch him play when he's bored etc.

Just an example....

Attachments

#6 ·
My oldest isn't too crazy about dogs - so I would add that I wouldn't push her too much. Just let the dog be around her and in her area and I personally would let her warm up as she gets comfortable. My youngest is always trying to climb on the dogs but my oldest is just content to know they are there. He might pet them occasionally but that is it. I figure he just isn't as big of an animal lover as I am (or my youngest).

#7 ·
Update

Thanks for all your replies! Well, guess what? Something must have gone "click" because all of a sudden she is not afraid of the dog any more! Maybe it was the game of hide and seek! Maybe it was just a matter of time and getting used to him. I think keeping the puppy on leash helps a lot because he is under a lot more control. She gets a kick out of him licking her now (instead of biting!). Needless to say, we are definately keeping the dog and hopefully one day they will be best friends! :biggrin:

#8 ·
Thanks for all your replies! Well, guess what? Something must have gone "click" because all of a sudden she is not afraid of the dog any more! Maybe it was the game of hide and seek! Maybe it was just a matter of time and getting used to him. I think keeping the puppy on leash helps a lot because he is under a lot more control. She gets a kick out of him licking her now (instead of biting!). Needless to say, we are definately keeping the dog and hopefully one day they will be best friends! :biggrin:
Im soo glad its going well. Keep us posted on the continued progress and pics please!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.