Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I went a little clipper crazy!! LOL... I only meant to shorten the hair on her but a little bit and look what happened!!! :wacko: Ha! I love it!! :love:

And Dana thinks she looks pretty snazzy too! She's been acting like a nut ever since.

Now, I kinda want to do her front legs to match... But I'm scared! :scared: I'm not quite sure where to clip. Anyway, I think I'll just leave her like that for now.

What do you guys think?

Should I shave up a little more on her tail?

I'm not quite sure what to do with that poor nub. :eek:hwell: Sometimes I think I should try and grow as much hair on it as I can to make it look bigger, and other times, I just think I should just assume the fact that it's small, that it's never gonna look right, and shave it off entirely. (I think she'd look smashing in a german clip... but I kinda messed that up by shaving her but.)

Meh... I dunno.

What ever I do... I just have to repeat this mantra: "It's just hair, it grows back. It's just hair, it grows back. It's just hair, it grows back..."

So... here are the pics:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would like to make a suggestion. Shave or go close at least 2 more inches toward the head. Your "line" pulls my eye tward the back of the dog. My eye SHOULd go directly to the center of the dog. Her tail looks fine. The end of the tail puff should visually be straight level with the dogs top of skull (not top of her head topknot...the skull bone) Its quite OK to have ankle poms in the rear and not in the front....its a "different" look but certainly not so bizarrely weird that people should make fun of it. I would wear it this way for about 2 weeks. Print one of the photos and put it near your grooming area. Keep studying it. Whenever you feel brave and ready, go finish the front half and make it match. Keep that photo eside the other one. I look back at my work on my own standards and I see how far I have come. And my dog is not like ones in books...she's too skinny, too long and you learn to compensate...but its all an illusion to fool the eye.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think it looks different but cute in a way:)

I buzzed Olie off last night!~:scared: I mean close down to the feet. He is starting to mat so bad I just said hell with it. My BF said he looks like a rescue dog, aww poor baby!

So you are doing good!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think it is really cute and really different. I agree with P2P...the jacket should come more forward. It will make her body look a bit shorter. Her do is Puppy in the front, adult in the back. Sort of like a mullet-office in the front, party in the back. I really like it, and does she ever have a pretty face. She has a very soft, sweet expression. You did a very good job.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Her tail looks pretty good actually, you could shave a *SMIDGE* more, but because of her lil tail you do wanna be careful of taking off too much and not leaving enough for a good pom!

And yup I agree taking more off the jacket and doing her front legs will make her look STUNNING!!! You're scared of where to clip, then leave far more than you think for a start, and you can inch it in as you go. Clip from well over the wrist area, and leave half an inch or so below the elbow (to cover the 'knob' of the elbow) and see how it looks. Leave it if you're not sure and go back later!!! The joys of hair. :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You're scared of where to clip, then leave far more than you think for a start, and you can inch it in as you go. :D
I usually leave a little extra when I clip it too, just in case kind of thing. It also ensures that I can make both sides match without being to low. Just easier for my brain to process doing it that way rather than just clipping the line right where it is supposed to go. :rolffleyes: I think a little differently though maybe haha.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Another tip for getting your eye to the center of the dog. Take a string from point of rump to point of shoulder (flat, straght line....dont curve the string to add any excess length.) Then fold the string in half. Hold this "half pice of string up to the dog's side starting at the point of shoulder. This SHOULD be the exact center of the dog. Now take your string and loop it around the dog's body. Everything in front stays long and everything in back can be short. Its nice to allow an inch for blending or beveling. DO NOT shave or go too close on the tuck-up area. This defeats the whole purpose of finding that center point on the dog. Look closely at some wll groomed Lamb trims and you will see what I mean on that tuck up area. There is hair there, a nice arched curve and very highest point on the arc is the exact center of the dog.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone. Very good info...

Shave or go close at least 2 more inches toward the head. Your "line" pulls my eye tward the back of the dog. My eye SHOULd go directly to the center of the dog.
ArreauStandardPoodle said:
I agree with P2P...the jacket should come more forward. It will make her body look a bit shorter.
flyingduster said:
And yup I agree taking more off the jacket...
Okay. Note to self: take a little more off of jacket. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it looks different but cute in a way:)

I buzzed Olie off last night!~:scared: I mean close down to the feet. He is starting to mat so bad I just said hell with it. My BF said he looks like a rescue dog, aww poor baby!

So you are doing good!
Awww.... poor Olie. How old is he now?

ArreauStandardPoodle said:
I think it is really cute and really different. I really like it, and does she ever have a pretty face. She has a very soft, sweet expression. You did a very good job.
Mandycasey'smom said:
She is a real cutie
Marian said:
What a pretty girl, and I love the name Dana. It's very elegant, like her.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I can never get enough compliments on my dog!! LOL!!!

Over here, the comments I usually get are: "What did you do to that poor dog?!!" :eek:hwell:

Thank you everyone for all the grooming tips. Can never get enough of those too!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another tip for getting your eye to the center of the dog. Take a string from point of rump to point of shoulder (flat, straght line....dont curve the string to add any excess length.) Then fold the string in half. Hold this "half pice of string up to the dog's side starting at the point of shoulder. This SHOULD be the exact center of the dog. Now take your string and loop it around the dog's body. Everything in front stays long and everything in back can be short. Its nice to allow an inch for blending or beveling. DO NOT shave or go too close on the tuck-up area. This defeats the whole purpose of finding that center point on the dog. Look closely at some wll groomed Lamb trims and you will see what I mean on that tuck up area. There is hair there, a nice arched curve and very highest point on the arc is the exact center of the dog.

:eek:hwell::eek:hwell::eek:hwell: Not sure I understood everything there... I'm off to stare at some pics of poodles in lamb clips... That "tuck-up" part is confusing me. :shocked:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hehe... that was fun. I think the crown suits her well.

I did this in 'paint'. That's all I have... :eek:hwell:

What do you guys think?

Okay. I'll stop serial-posting in my own thread now. LOL..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hahahaha!!!! I can't give you any grooming tips on this one, but she is looking great! I think the crown is a must! BTW...Her tail looks good considering it is short. You did great! Lover her happy expression.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts