Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a good slicker brush and greyhound comb to brush out my 10 month old minipoo everyday. I leave his topknot long, but otherwise he's pretty much in a puppy cut. It's winter in the northeast so the house heat is on constantly. I brush him dry (no pre-spray or anything) and wonder if I should be putting something on him first--his topknot gets a lot of static build-up as I brush. He has a gorgeous coat, no skin problems (daily salmon oil and good Fromm food helps, I think, along with good genes). I love brushing him. He's not thrilled with his legs being brushed but otherwise pretty much enjoys it. He gets professionally groomed every six weeks, I just do a bit of in-between "snip-snip" touch ups. He's a gem, so good about me daily brushing his teeth and clipping his nails every few weeks. So, should I spray him with something before brushing? If so, just water or a leave-in conditioner?

Also, who knows the magic secret of getting "snowballs" off a poodle?! My boy romps with abandon through the deepest snow and comes in with "pearls" of snow embedded in his coat. I put towels in the dryer and rub him down, still, some linger on and have to melt on their own.

Thanks for any advice you care to offer.
Nearly the end of winter, Chagall will be sorry to see it end (not me!!).

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
for deep snowballs generally a rinse in warm water is the easiest fastest way to get rid of them. Even just a bucket of warm water and dip & slosh each leg, then they just need to dry out and have a brush to fluff them back up.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A blow dryer might be good for the snowballs? I've heard many times that you shouldn't brush a dry or dirty coat, but I think that's more for show grooming. If you're happy w/ the length of his coat and breaking hair isn't a problem, then I don't see why you need to use spray. I think a conditioning spray would help w/ the static though. There are many products and you can always just dilute a bit of basic conditioner (doesn't even have to be dog conditioner) in some water.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Biogroom makes an anti-static spray (called anti-stat) that I use a lot on fly-away coats when I'm grooming and is also great on cats. Amazon sells it, as well as on-line pet supply companies - seems to be a reallly good price on amazon - $5 for 12 ounces. A little goes a long way - I hold the bottle about 6" from the coat and for a small poodle top-knot, it would probably take one good spray.

For the snowballs, I use a dryer on my dog's - just enough to melt the balls for me to break them up and pull them from the fur.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Misting with water works fine. I mean, we have a ton of static here, so I do have to spritz him down or else the static gets overwhelming, but we don't need to spring for anything fancy. I used Miracle Coat Leave in Conditioner until it ran low, then I filled the bottle with water (mixed with what little conditioner there was left) and that worked fine. Just water works as well, it's pretty nice and leaves his coat feeling a lot better because it's not all dried out and break-y. :) I like having the conditioner in there because it leaves him smelling nice, and not like wet dog lol.
I think if you just got a spray bottle and filled it with water (mixed with a little bit of conditioner if you want) it would work perfect for what you need.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I dry brush too and always wonder if it's the right thing to do...
the snow ball thing is becoming a real issue for us, we've had tons of snow over the last few days and Rogan loves goofing around in it for hours! His coat is quite long and wow, those snow balls get huge! I had no choice but to bath him yesterday after we had been outside about an hour... I didn't get a pic of the snow balls but here you can see how deep and fluffy the snow is! (and sticky)

he had them all underneath on his belly and everything... he couldn't even walk properly!! Can't wait for Spring!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much everyone for the helpful suggestions! I have in the past used the blow dryer for BIG, honking, really stuck in there snowballs but was concerned with doing too much drying. The idea of wetting him down a bit in warm water is good. Also appreciate the thoughts on dry versus damp daily brushing for a pet coat. I will use the anti-static stuff. Very helpful and reassuring to have conversations with experienced poodle people! This is my first poodle and his first winter so there's lots to learn! One thing he's learned is that chasing the snowballs we throw him is a losing proposition!! haha!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, I've done this with Chagall too but he looks so darn sad in the "drying pen" that I say, what the heck, let him lay around on our nice new carpet and rugs and get dry! Nothing's too good for a great dog like him!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts