Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gilligan went for his annual vaccination yesterday and also a once-over by the vet. She said he is perfectly healthy.

He had his normal dinner a little before 5pm, around midnight, he threw up about half of it along with some white foam. He does not often throw up any longer since he stopped ingesting oak flowers. Besides going to the vet, he did not go outside at all yesterday - the weather was miserable.

He did eat some of an acorn (the meat only) around Tuesday, and did have a touch of diarrhea on Thursday.

After throwing up, he drank some water and then was pretty insistent I give him some of his late night snack (instict beef meal mixers). He only gets those when he asks. I gave him some and we all went back to bed.

When he had his first annual shot last year he did not have any reaction. He seems normal today.

My thinking is the acorn may still be affecting him. Since he didn't react last year, I don't think it's the shot, but it could be. Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
Lenny reacted to his Lyme vaccine the second year. My Bea threw up on the way home until the vet started giving Bea a shot of benadryl before the vaccines.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's not uncommon for vaccine reactions to develop. They typically need to be 'sensitized' to it first before the body decides to react to it. That's why it's extremely rare to see really young (2 month) old pups with a vaccine reaction other than some sleepiness.
That's a relatively mild reaction as far as reactions go, if that's what it is. In some cases a reaction might be a one-off event. I believe that sometimes, unknown factors play a part in why a dog reacted at a particular time. However it's more common for reactions to get worse with each exposure. It might be a good idea (since it won't hurt either way) to give a pre-emptive dose of Benadryl an hour or so before any future DA2PP boosters.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It really doesn't sound like a vaccination reaction to me, though it could be and I would mention it to my vet who would know. One of my chihuahuas, who lived 18 years, one time had a reaction to his annuals. I knew within the first 30 minutes of arriving home. HIs face was all swollen and we had to turn around go back to the vet for a shot and meds. After that he got his vaccinations two weeks apart. He would get a benadryl an hour before we left and the vet usually gave him a shot of I believe prednisone. Later we just gave the benadryl and he never had a reaction again. I think its always a good idea to speak to your vet after vaccinations if anything out of ordinary happens so he can be aware .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was fine yesterday (24 hours later) though a bit tired. He asked for and ate his dinner normally. He also asked for his bedtime snack. This morning, he threw up again and it was mostly white foam with a bit of yellow bile in there. He also pooped quite a bit (not unusual if he didn't poop much the day before) though it was a bit smelly and has a slight sheen to it - not gelatinous parts - just a bit shiny.

It seems like he's just about normal for peeing and pooping except for the vomiting.

I think I'll give the vet a call. They're open today.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The tired, yes they usually are after vaccinations., the throwing up, not sure some type of gastrointestinal issue I would think. ? Since your vet open thats always the best option.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet (& tech) said to give him chicken and rice today instead of his regular meal. They said it is possible the acorn is still working its way out of his system, since he's behaving pretty much normally, and peeing & pooping find, except his poop was a bit shiny today.

They said if he continues to vomit to bring him in tomorrow. Since he didn't vomit at all yesterday, I'm hoping whatever it is gets out of his system. My fear, always, is pancreatitis, because he gets and ounce of chicken thigh mixed with breast mixed in with each of his meals, plus a tablespoon of defatted drippings. But I found it very odd that this all started after going to the vet. He didn't eat anything differently than the day before.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Its probably exactly what I would do, I feed boiled skinless boneless chicken breast, mixed with boiled white rice. Mix well together. Whenever mine have an upset stomach. Very likely the acorn since it seems to have started after that. It just could have upset is stomach and now it will take a few days on a bland diet to heal. I usually keep mine on for about 5 days then add their regular food back. Pancreatitis he would more than likely have diarrhea, and look like he is in pain being hunched over. Understandably we worry so, probably more than we need too. Hopefully a few days on the rice & chicken will have him feeling chipper again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... you've made me feel a lot better. I can't believe the meat of an acorn would take so long to pass, but as you said, perhaps it irritated his stomach and he just needs some time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gilligan went for his annual vaccination yesterday and also a once-over by the vet. She said he is perfectly healthy.

He had his normal dinner a little before 5pm, around midnight, he threw up about half of it along with some white foam. He does not often throw up any longer since he stopped ingesting oak flowers. Besides going to the vet, he did not go outside at all yesterday - the weather was miserable.

He did eat some of an acorn (the meat only) around Tuesday, and did have a touch of diarrhea on Thursday.

After throwing up, he drank some water and then was pretty insistent I give him some of his late night snack (instict beef meal mixers). He only gets those when he asks. I gave him some and we all went back to bed.

When he had his first annual shot last year he did not have any reaction. He seems normal today.

My thinking is the acorn may still be affecting him. Since he didn't react last year, I don't think it's the shot, but it could be. Any other thoughts?
The reaction to D
Thanks... you've made me feel a lot better. I can't believe the meat of an acorn would take so long to pass, but as you said, perhaps it irritated his stomach and he just needs some time.
Its probably exactly what I would do, I feed boiled skinless boneless chicken breast, mixed with boiled white rice. Mix well together. Whenever mine have an upset stomach. Very likely the acorn since it seems to have started after that. It just could have upset is stomach and now it will take a few days on a bland diet to heal. I usually keep mine on for about 5 days then add their regular food back. Pancreatitis he would more than likely have diarrhea, and look like he is in pain being hunched over. Understandably we worry so, probably more than we need too. Hopefully a few days on the rice & chicken will have him feeling chipper again.
The reaction to Da2PP can happen regardless of the previous vaccinations. Check out the possible side effects of it: D2pp side effects - Google Search

My standard is almost 10yrs. and never reacted to DHLPP, but a year ago, she had been examined and then given DHLPP annual shot. She was ok on the way home, but closer to the evening she couldn’t step on the hind leg, where was the site of injection.
Turned out the L ( for leptospirosis) part of this vaccination, is known for such side effect. The vet neglected to inform us because Sasha never reacted before. From now on she will have only DHPP ( without L) and only once in 3 years.
On the other hand, you mentioned that Gillian ate meat of acorn, which is toxic for dogs. See:Can Dogs Eat Acorns or Is It Toxic – Ask A Vet – Banfield Pet Hospital®
So, either one or both could cause the vomiting. I’d watch him & if further symptoms develop, take him to the vet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fed Gilligan boiled chicken breast and rice for 3 dinners and he never threw up again. I put him back on his normal food on Wednesday and he's eating and pooping normally.

It had to be that acorn, and from what I've read, it could take 5-7 days for any symptoms to show. He had the first symptom 4 days later, and threw up 5 and 6 days later. I think the shot was just a coincidence.

Thanks to all for the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts