Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t cut my dogs nails in years. Beckie is easy but Merlin will fight and try to bite so I was very hesitant to even try.

I started with Beckie to give me confidence. She is very easy. I have both the scissor and guillotine type of nail cutter but I prefer the guillotine. I also have dremmels but didn’t want to use those.

So after doing Beckie I put the cone of shame on Merlin, to prevent biting, and set him on the kitchen table, where I usually do my grooming. He tried to get to my hand once but when he realized he couldn’t do anything, he just tensed, tilted his head back and let me do my job.

Yeah ! I’ve only taken little bits but it’s okay, I plan to do it once a week. This was getting me stressed so I’m glad I managed to do it ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Also afraid to try - black nails, but now you have inspired me. The cone of shame is an excellent idea and I think I have one around the house.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also afraid to try - black nails, but now you have inspired me. The cone of shame is an excellent idea and I think I have one around the house.
If I can do it, so can you ! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
Well done! I did Poppy's the other day and was utterly mortified to quick two of them - only taking off a tiny snip, too. She is very stoical (unlike Sophy who screams before I even touch the nail) which made me feel even guiltier. Black nails can be tricky...

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
532 Posts
I’ve always cut Lacey’s nails. They are black. I have a confession. I’ve quicked a single different nail on the same foot during about 3 of the 5 most recent sessions. It’s never blood squirting, but oozing. I really don’t know why suddenly that’s happening.
She doesn’t yelp, just slightly pulls away and then quietly lays there while I hold cornstarch on it. Then lets me finish the rest of the nails. I always keep calm, say sorry, and feed her lots of extra treats as I stop the bleeding. I recently started lightly filing after I clip. Maybe that has something to do with it? I clip every 1-2 weeks.

Just to ensure I didn’t do something wrong I reviewed some instructional articles and videos on nail clipping although I hadn’t changed anything in my technique. I was doing the “alternative” angle that does get closer to the quick to help it recede, as in the first pic below. Now I’m going to start doing the traditional angle, as in the second pic.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
My dogs always seem to have thick black nails and really I feel irked every t time I clip one. I now use the dremel weekly. I am much happier with that. The cone! what a wonderful idea. My last chihuahua hated his nails done and we were always afraid of the bite That would have been an excellent idea.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I now use the dremel weekly. I am much happier with that.
I really loved my dremel for a while. Until I burned Merlin for going too deep in the nail and got Beckie’s hair twisted on the shaft while doing her dewclaw... Then that was it, I was too afraid to use it again. I think the dremel was too strong, maybe if I used it at the lowest speed it would be okay.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Congrats! It is not easy. I have barely hit the quick a few times with Misha. At least twice on the same nail... he broke his dewclaw at the base of the nail and it grew out fine but now it's hard to tell where the quick is because the shape is not the same.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I really loved my dremel for a while. Until I burned Merlin for going too deep in the nail and got Beckie’s hair twisted on the shaft while doing her dewclaw... Then that was it, I was too afraid to use it again. I think the dremel was too strong, maybe if I used it at the lowest speed it would be okay.
The dewclaw is a night mare! I kept getting hair stuck in mine so now I use an orange bag to keep the hair back.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Congratulations those black nails are scary. I still am nervous every time I do Babykins black nails.

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just to ensure I didn’t do something wrong I reviewed some instructional articles and videos on nail clipping although I hadn’t changed anything in my technique. I was doing the “alternative” angle that does get closer to the quick to help it recede, as in the first pic below. Now I’m going to start doing the traditional angle, as in the second pic.

I think I do the traditional angle I trim from the underside of the nail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts