Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I felted a poodle for my breeder in the meantime while waiting for my puppy to be born. I used her girls coat hair to make it extra special. I gave it to her a couple of days ago and she is very pleased with it and said it is the best felted poodle in that style that she has seen. So as I am learning how to make these, I would be happy to offer to make custom poodle art for you for a lower price. After I make several and perhaps open an etsy store the prices will go up. For anyone interested just send me a message! Thanks! I will post a picture as well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The frame for this measures about 8.5"x8.5" and the poodle is about 5" tall. The poms and jacket puff out so it looks 3 dimensional. In fact the jacket is so puffy here that it is kissing the glass of the frame :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
That is fab, great work! My mum has a giant bag of Rory's hair at her place that she made me collect from his groomer but hasn't actually used it yet. I will show her this as inspiration!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Muggles! It is so fun, I love it. You should post a pic after your mom makes one!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I know a little (very little) about "felting" - I took a class in the basics.

I think you created a marvelous representation. Is it felted right on to the background? or did you felt onto foam and cut it out. Whatever your method, that is as cute as it can be.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Beautiful Blue! This is actually my first felting project so I am anxious to try more. I am making some for another local breeder soon (as soon as she gets me the hair) and I can't wait to get some more practice in. That is so fun that you have taken a class! I first drew a silhouette based on a picture of the dog that I wanted to felt, and then cut it out of felt, and felted the hair to the cutout. Then mounted it to the background and framed. I would encourage anyone who is crafty to try and make one! But for anyone who may not have the crafting gene I would be happy to help you out lol ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Astas mom! It took less hair than I imagined. For a poodle with this much fluff maybe 3/4 full sandwich bag? But I could be overestimating, it could be closer to only 1/2 of a sandwich size bag. I started with a whole lot of hair so didn't get a very good measure.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Super cute.

A friend of mine spun a small ball of wool from fur from my tpoo years ago - I still have that little ball of wool as a reminder.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was just in my laundry/craft room and spotted the piece of foam with the felting needles that I used in a 2 hour class on The Basics of Felting last winter. It reminded me of the darling poodle you felted.

And then it struck me. When our 2 female spoos died in January and March this past winter we had them cremated. The woman who owns that rather thankless business sent me the ashes in a tin...and also a sympathy card, their tags, and a little ziplock baggie of their hair.

Wouldn't a picture made by you from their hair have been the perfect little memorial!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful blue, one of the upcoming projects that I will be working on is felting the heart dog of a local breeder. Her beloved dog died several years ago and the vet shaved off part of the ear hair to give to the grieving owner. She has kept that hair all this time, and after seeing the above project in person she said she finally knew what she wanted to do with that hair. She is planning to entrust it to me to make one so that she can have it on display where it can bring her joy instead of tucked into a filing cabinet. If you would like something done of your girls with the hair that you received get in contact with me and I would love to work something out. The best way to get in touch with me is through email: [email protected], or you can message me through here. Of course since you have already taken a felting class, you may want to attempt to do something with it yourself - if you do make sure to share it with us!! Hugs <3

·
Registered
620 Posts
Beautiful blue, one of the upcoming projects that I will be working on is felting the heart dog of a local breeder. Her beloved dog died several years ago and the vet shaved off part of the ear hair to give to the grieving owner. She has kept that hair all this time, and after seeing the above project in person she said she finally knew what she wanted to do with that hair. She is planning to entrust it to me to make one so that she can have it on display where it can bring her joy instead of tucked into a filing cabinet. If you would like something done of your girls with the hair that you received get in contact with me and I would love to work something out. The best way to get in touch with me is through email: [email protected], or you can message me through here. Of course since you have already taken a felting class, you may want to attempt to do something with it yourself - if you do make sure to share it with us!! Hugs <3
But we DID do something with our girls' hair. Yes, this spring we buried the ashes and the hair and planted a dark purple lilac bush in the corner of the back yard with a small plaque in memory.

I had thought that a "dogwood" would be just the right small tree to plant there. :)
but lilac won out.

But your craft is perfect for others to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beautiful Blue, oh that sounds absolutely perfect. Lilacs, in my opinion are the sweetest smelling flower, and one of the most beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to your girls, and an excellent idea for a lovely memorial. It will definitely bring you joy year after year. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just finished another felting for my breeder of her other female - with the same color background to match the first one I made. For this one she wanted a different pose, made off of the picture of when her girl became a champion. It is also her website logo. This one was a little more difficult to do, but fun. I will get it to her next week and I hope she likes it! I do still take orders for these so if you know anyone interested send them my way. I have made them for Liz and Twyla here on PF if you would like references :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts