Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this site and have a 5 month year old toy poodle called Betty. She only wags her tail when she greets new people and otherwise its kept firmly tucked up against her back. She is generally and fun playful little thing (when she's not sleeping) but I've never know a dog to wag her tail less than she does. Is it because its curly or is there a risk that she's not happy?

She doesn't wag her tail when she is praised, when fed or when playing only when seeing me or my housemate in the morning of if we've been out (and then only slightly).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Totally normal. My poodle's tail is not curved over his back but he actually wags even less than this. He only wags when he is playing, and those wags are not happy wags but more like intense focus wags. It has nothing to do with happiness. It is easy to tell if he is happy by looking at other body language. Some poodles wag and others don't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally normal. My poodle's tail is not curved over his back but he actually wags even less than this. He only wags when he is playing, and those wags are not happy wags but more like intense focus wags. It has nothing to do with happiness. It is easy to tell if he is happy by looking at other body language. Some poodles wag and others don't.
Thank you so much for your response, I rehomed her from someone who was allergic (to her saliva rather than her fur) and was worried that she was never settled with me, although I have had her since she was about 10 weeks old and we are very bonded and she gives lots of affectionate licks and eye contact. Big relief to hear not all poodles are tail waggers. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
My boy Galen has a curly tail too. It rests on his back and forms a divot in the hair. He wags it in greeting kind of the way I might wave to a friend across the street. He gives two or three quick wags to acknowledge me and then stops, just like I would flutter my hand two or three times to acknowledge my friend and then stop.

He will also wag his tail when he is solving a problem. I usually see it when I have thrown his ball into a shrub. The front half of the dog disappears into the foliage, leaving a poodle butt with a wagging tail protruding as he searches.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
He will also wag his tail when he is solving a problem. I usually see it when I have thrown his ball into a shrub. The front half of the dog disappears into the foliage, leaving a poodle butt with a wagging tail protruding as he searches.
Yes this is how Misha wags his tail while he is playing. It is a prey drive type of intense focus wag. Lizards will wiggle their tails while they are preparing to pounce on an insect, and Misha will do the same when he is about to pounce on his toy. It is like all the excess chaotic energy goes into the tail so the rest of the dog can reach its goal.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Navy has a curled tail and his wags are hard to see and somewhat infrequent. In the beginning I didn’t think he ever wagged his tail. He is the only curled tail dog I’ve had, and the wags aren’t the same.

Violet, who has a regular poodle tail, wags more for my husband than for me, but follows me everywhere and waits by the door when I go out. I can’t figure out why I get fewer wags!

It sounds like your poodle is lovingly attached to you, and I wouldn’t worry about the lack of wagging.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Piper’s Gail also curls onto her back. She wags it when she greets us in the morning. Also wags when she sees other dogs and wants to say hello. It’s interesting as some of her dog friends never stop wagging their tails.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
If a golden retriever tail wag is a 10/10, then Basil is like a 5/10 on the tail wag scale. Also, curly tailed. She is what would consider a moderate wiggle butt.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm no dog whisperer, but to me it's like how not every human has the same love language. Some dogs just show affection in other ways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts