Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reread the breed standard today for watching Westminster and noticed that there are 2 different quality of coats (1) curly and (2) corded. I had always thought there was 1 coat type and cords were made as a different sort of "clip" So are some poodles naturally of the corded quality? How do you tell the difference? Asta sure seems to grow cords naturally in his topknot, but when I have let his body grow out, it doesn't seem to cord naturally rather I would say he just gets matted- is this bad breeding? Do breeders breed for corded coats?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It's just saying that it can be done in a corded or 'curly' coat style imo. It's just worded weirdly.
Some coats will tend toward cording better than others, but a correct coat should be able to cord I believe.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
To add to that, you can't judge a corded coat in the same way as a non corded coat so it needs to have it's own description. You can't tell how 'evenly' the coat is curled when it's in a cord and such so you need another way to describe how it should feel/look.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I do't know, still being new to this but if I don't brush & comb Renn his coat is curly will start to cord. I have to keep him brushed out to keep him fluffy.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I think Mufar hit the nail on the head. As far as I've seen most poodles' hair will curl when it's not brushed out or if it gets damp. So when it's short you have maybe one curl. Now project that curl as if the hair were growing longer and longer. What would that one curl do? The rest of the length of the hair would also curl. So you'd have a looooooong tendril of hair with multiple curls or ringlets which would wind up in a cord...like a vine curling up around it's trellis. It started out with one little curl that you have to help get going around the stake or trellis. lol. Do I have that right? :alberteinstein:hmmm. not sure. The hair would have to have some curl in it.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, that is really interesting! My old poodle Sasha would tend to get cords really really easily when I didn’t keep up on her brushing or when she got wet. I was also wondering what the correct or desirable coat is on a poodle, do you want them to have tight curls and coarse feeling coat or soft curls? Gigi’s coat is super soft and shiny almost like velvet and she has soft curls. She is easy to brush but then my moms poodles both have the coarse feeling coats with really tight curls that almost feel stiff when brushed out and they take so long to brush and comb through. Gigi is 1 year and 7 months and she did go through the coat change early. Sorry I don’t mean to hijack your post I just thought it would be a good place to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts