Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Both of My 6 mo old toy's ears curl. It started curling at about 4 mo. It was wacky before but didn't curl. Also he has sparse hair on his ears. Neither lays flat.
Does anyone know how or if it can be corrected?
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Mod note: Fixed formatting so post would display correctly. -PeggyTheParti

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
I don't remember seeing this topic before, so I read thru the thread and did a quick search online thru a few reliable sources.

It seems to happen in other breeds too and, as puppies, the reason often is teething. The explanation is that the body is diverting calcium (a component of cartilage which - you guessed it, helps keep the ear in the right shape/form) to grow the adult teeth.

When she's finished teething the calcium will be diverted back to places like ears.

Check with your vet, but what I wouldn't do is try to "fix" something that's most likely normal and most likely going to correct itself in a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
Freddy is a papillon, and I noticed his very upright ears were much floppier while he was teething. As RnP says, it usually sorts itself out as they get older.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Both of My 6 mo old toy's ears curl. It started curling at about 4 mo. It was wacky before but didn't curl. Also he has sparse hair on his ears. Neither lays flat.
Does anyone know how or if it can be corrected?
View attachment 492471

Mod note: Fixed formatting so post would display correctly. -PeggyTheParti
Did you get him from a responsible breeder? Was his face clipped clean when you picked him up from them as most responsible breeders do? If so, you could have used those lines as a starting point... Hard to tell from this picture but it looks like his ear set, structurally, is higher than it should be, which will contribute to the "curling" you mention... Also, at 6 months, there should be some decent hair growth/length on the ears and the weight of the coat on them should also be bringing them down a bit (though don't know if it is applicable to your situation).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you asked breeder if there are ways to trim your pup's face/under ear to help them drop a bit? Any hair under the ear and facial hair pushing the ear out may be exacerbating a small/high set ear situation. Having SFTs, teething's effect on ears has caused me deep distress! 😂 To avoid high/low breaks or the dreaded prick ear, we set them throughout the teething process, but I can't fathom that's feasible (or necessary) with a Poodle. Even as my SFTs have aged, ear set changes a bit. I suspect just aiding the drop by strategic grooming and time is all that you need. The good part of Poodles is you can grow the hair out and trim to hide the less than ideal aspects. With smooth haired breeds, it's all on display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts