Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Actually a couple of questions now that I think about it. Penny and I have been having at least a couple accidents on a daily basis. She is now 4 months and I guess, I just thought we would be farther in potty training. I've been taking her outside almost every hour and I've learned to stay out until she pees at least twice sometimes 3 or 4 times. But then 5 mins after we go back in, she often will go again. I'm still having trouble seeing her signals as most of the time she seems to just stop whatever she is doing and squat without hestitation. Then I pick her up and out we go again. Is this normal? I was concerned she might have a UTI but she can tolerate 4 hrs in the crate without any accidents.

Another concern I have is that we live in an apartment on the second floor. While I have no problem taking her out, she is scared of the stairs and I'm carrying her up and down them. Could this cause a problem with her not learning to actually walk herself out to go potty? Or even with learning to signal that she needs to go? I hope this makes sense. I've tried sitting on the steps with her and offering treat but she refuses them, which is not Penny. Any suggestions on getting her past this hurdle? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well first- i'd get working on those stairs- although she'll be little- learning to go down and up is an important skill. Use the clicker and treats to work with this.

Four months is sitll young. If she can hold it in the crate then she needs to IMO spend more time in the crate between potty breaks. so that she learns to hold it.

Definatly go get her checked for a UTI

Is she excited when she pees?? do you have her tethered to you when she's out of the crate?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Multiple steps are difficult. Try to find an area that has only one or two steps and practice on those. Then work your way up to 3-4 and then 5+.

This girl needs to be on a leash all the time at home. If you keep her tethered to you, you will be more likely to catch her before "the act". I use crates, X-pens and tethering to potty train my dogs. Typically, the puppy comes out of the crate and goes potty (1 time). Then I know that I am good for about 15-30 minutes depending on the age of the puppy. I take the puppy out again. If I get no potty in about 2-3 minutes, I put the puppy back in a crate.

I also use baby gates to cordon off sections of my house. Initially, the puppy gets full run of my galley kitchen. When that area is constantly kept dry, I give the puppy the entire kitchen.... then the kitchen and family room..... then kitchen, family room and front hall. You get the idea.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'll try to find a smaller set of stairs to begin with. I actually got her to sit on the stairs with me this morning and she ate the treats. Didn't seem as afraid of them but definitely has no interest in climbing them. I'll try to find small sets of steps.

I've tried using baby gates with her but she climbed it to get to me, which scared the heck out of me. Since then, I've been afraid to use it unless she's right next to me. She hasn't been tethered to me, which sounds like something I should do. I also think she needs more crate time as right now her main crate time is if I leave the house. Otherwise, I crate her when I can't watch her. But starting today, I have increased her crate time. She's not too happy with that. But so far no accidents so I must be on the right track. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts