Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Peggy first. We were playing with her stuffed toy tonight and she started whimpering when I squeaked it. She wasn't demanding anything. It wasn't a whine. It was a heartbreaking little whimper I've never heard from her before. :(

I gave her the toy back and she took it to her bed and whimpered some more. I called her over and she didn't want to play tug or anything. She just wanted to lay with the toy.

A few minutes later she brought it up onto the couch and has been sleeping curled up with it ever since.

Do toys ever make your poodle cry??

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not a poodle, but Misty's done this with squeaky toys (and only squeaky toys), too. Fluffy couldn't care less, and I have no idea why she does it. She's only stopped crying in the past when she's demolished the toy's squeaker (I avoid giving her those types of toys for that very reason), so maybe Peggy's frustrated she can't tear it up like her other toys?

Edit: Here's a couple of articles I found

Why Is My Dog Carrying a Toy in His Mouth and Whining?
Why your dog cries when it carries toys

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a poodle, but Misty's done this with squeaky toys (and only squeaky toys), too. Fluffy couldn't care less, and I have no idea why she does it. She's only stopped crying in the past when she's demolished the toy's squeaker (I avoid giving her those types of toys for that very reason), so maybe Peggy's frustrated she can't tear it up like her other toys?
Squeakers are really frustrating, you're right. She didn't seem frustrated in this case, but maybe? This is definitely the most resilient plush toy she's ever had.

Now she's panting hard and rubbing her head against it, almost like a cat with catnip. Hmmm. If she didn't have her last heat in August, I'd swear she was going into heat again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Squeakers are really frustrating, you're right. She didn't seem frustrated in this case, but maybe? This is definitely the most resilient plush toy she's ever had.

Now she's panting hard and rubbing her head against it, almost like a cat with catnip. Hmmm. If she didn't have her last heat in August, I'd swear she was going into heat again.
Weiirddddd! Does she let you take it from her? From what I'm reading, it looks like it most likely is caused by
A) High prey drive (cough, Misty)
B) THIS TOY IS MY FAVORITE NOW, TY or
C) Hyper stimulation

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Hmmm. If she didn't have her last heat in August, I'd swear she was going into heat again.
That’s what immediately came to ming when I read your post. Are you spaying her soon ? I know you (and her) had a rough time when she was in heat.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weiirddddd! Does she let you take it from her? From what I'm reading, it looks like it most likely is caused by
A) High prey drive (cough, Misty)
B) THIS TOY IS MY FAVORITE NOW, TY or
C) Hyper stimulation
Yep, she's letting me take it, touch it, whatever, no problem. I pretended to examine it for her and she very carefully "helped" by nosing all the spots I touched. Weird poodle.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s what immediately came to ming when I read your post. Are you spaying her soon ? I know you (and her) had a rough time when she was in heat.
Yes, that second heat got off to a (very!) rocky start. We've decided to spay her in the spring, shortly before her 2nd birthday. So one more heat to go. Lord help me....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Enzo whimpered whenever he squeaked his duck plush the first few days when we got him, but I think that was just because it reminded him of his littermates--the breeder had given us the toy for him. Hopefully Peggy and her stuffie is just a case of weird poodle.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enzo whimpered whenever he squeaked his duck plush the first few days when we got him, but I think that was just because it reminded him of his littermates--the breeder had given us the toy for him. Hopefully Peggy and her stuffie is just a case of weird poodle.
Definitely a case of weird poodle! Hours later, she's still glued to that toy. Now she's sleeping on top of it.

That's so cute that Enzo brought a stuffed duck home with him. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why Is My Dog Carrying a Toy in His Mouth and Whining?
Just saw those links you added. Maybe this?

"If the behavior is carried out by an unspayed female, it may be that she is exhibiting the first signs of a false pregnancy. A false pregnancy takes place after a dog has gone through heat, but she did not mate/her eggs were not fertilized. A female in false pregnancy may therefore engage in mothering behaviors such as carrying toys around as if they were her pups. Therefore, she may form an emotional attachment to her toys and whine as she carries them around looking for a place to nest."

It's been roughly 9 weeks since her last heat ended.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Sounds like false pregnancy nursing behaviour to me - the squeaking would help trigger the nursing instinct, and the timing is bang on target. My first papillon would guard a nest full of tennis balls under the bed, and get very protective of them.

The usual advice is to keep jollying her along, and if you can remove the toy without distressing her do so. Given that Peggy has slight resource guarding tendancies, and her "puppy" is likely to be extremely precious to her, I certainly wouldn't force the issue. If you don't encourage the mothering behaviour, and offer her lots of fun alternatives, it should wear off soon. Have you checked her for milk?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our big dog food the same thing with the same toy! Before he chewed it's face off. 😂. But he's always cried over squeaky toys even as a puppy. We figure in his case it's something to do with how responsive he is to other dogs.

Tatl so far is more interested in people, and his big brother than with any toys.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like false pregnancy nursing behaviour to me - the squeaking would help trigger the nursing instinct, and the timing is bang on target. My first papillon would guard a nest full of tennis balls under the bed, and get very protective of them.

The usual advice is to keep jollying her along, and if you can remove the toy without distressing her do so. Given that Peggy has slight resource guarding tendancies, and her "puppy" is likely to be extremely precious to her, I certainly wouldn't force the issue. If you don't encourage the mothering behaviour, and offer her lots of fun alternatives, it should wear off soon. Have you checked her for milk?
No signs of milk, but a very weepy, clingy poodle. She's carefully bathing my face with her tongue as I type this, which I wouldn't usually tolerate.

I'm on high alert for any guarding behaviour, but so far she's only checked in briefly with her stuffed toy and was content to leave it untended to go burrow on the couch.

A papillon guarding a nest of tennis balls sounds so cute, though I imagine it was stressful for her.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our big dog food the same thing with the same toy! Before he chewed it's face off. 😂. But he's always cried over squeaky toys even as a puppy. We figure in his case it's something to do with how responsive he is to other dogs.

Tatl so far is more interested in people, and his big brother than with any toys.
My last girl would moan while searching for places to "bury" her bones (usually a blanket, and once the one on my bed - ick).

Tatl sounds adorable.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Sophy gets the milk but not the nesting urge - it takes them in different ways!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts

My thought too - along with the possibility that she's having or getting ready to have a silent heat. Those come early and are very sneaky: no blood, no tail flagging. If you definitely don't want to breed her, I recommend you spay her a week after she loses interest in the toy and not wait until the Spring.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recommend you spay her a week after she loses interest in the toy and not wait until the Spring.
@Vita, can I ask why you're recommending that? My husband and I have gone back and forth (and back and forth!) on our decision, so I'm open to all input. Is it the risk of accidental mating?

We finally decided on this particular timeline after discussion with our trainer because Peggy still seems to be growing. She just turned 17 months old today.

If we don't wait until spring (which would be the halfway mark between her next two heat cycles) we would need to do it in November to catch that hormonal "sweet spot."

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I think that as she has had two normal heats, and is just 9 weeks on from the most recent one, a silent heat is very unlikely. Poppy always had them, but at regular 6-monthly intervals. If she is having a phantom pregnancy you are better waiting to spay her as you planned - spaying during a phantom can mean the symptoms drag on for months, as it interrupts the normal progression of hormones. Talk to your vet, of course, but it all sounds pretty normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would love to know what is going on in their weird minds sometimes. Years ago our friends had a standard poodle who was weirdly, slightly disturbingly obsessed with one of our beardie's toys. It wasn't a snuggly toy if I recall, it was some kind of rubbery or stiff fabric puzzle/stimulation toy. He would whine/cry when he had it and fixate on it when it was taken away. We eventually hid it on behind some books on a high bookshelf when the dog came over and since it was never our dog's favorite we eventually forgot about it. Luc the poodle never did though. For years after, when he came over he would stare fixedly at the shelf for while at some point during his visit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts