Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've struggled with this issue throughout the span of time that I've had two dogs. When I'm training one dog, I put the other in a crate since they go all over each other otherwise. However, when they are in the crate, they cry and whine the entire time. Misty in particular really hypes herself up. I've tried training for quiet, but then the other dog outside the crate starts crying and trying to paw at me for attention. Drives me a little nuts. Should I try and continue training for quiet, and just ignore the other dog until one is solved?

Slightly related, last night Misty got up at midnight crying. Did she want out? No. Did she need food? No. I came over to her, and she immediately perked up and started panting excitedly. I let her out of her crate, and she started racing around the room and busting out commands. I sent her back to bed, since, as much as I appreciate her enthusiasm, I really don't want a dog that wakes me up at the wee hours to do work. I'll admit that I skipped our training session for the day to give us (well, me) a breather, and maybe that was the mistake? I've also started using their dinner to do training sessions, and that's when I started seeing a big change in behavior (although they've always whined when the other is training). They definitely aren't being starved at all, and get lots of snacks throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
24,103 Posts
I have always used mealtime as an oppotunity for training. first it was just having whoever was there sit politely until I told them (2 dogs) they could both eat, then one gets to start meal while other one waits a second or two more, then more duration for waiting while first dog starts (alternating dogs). After that I added sit to dog 1 and lie down for dog 2 (alternating who is doing what). I make it more complex as we go. I think that if you alternate who you start with each session then the impatient barking should settle down. You should also think about teaching an off duty settle order (either in crate or on a mat. Once a dog understands off duty that also helps when you work with a different dog.

And at night (especially if dog sleeps in crate) there is no reason to let a dog out who just wants to play. Lily often wants to play at night (she has always been a night owl) but she totally gets it that once I turn lamps off (even if TV is on) there is no more fetching or other play that requires a person. She can play quietly by herself with a soft toy with a broken squeaker but no bringing things for me to throw.

Reactions: FloofyPoodle

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think the other is just exited to "work"... Maybe covering the kennel and giving a stuffed kong or equivalent will help? thats what I do when Deacon gets restless in the kennel. Maybe you can just sit with the dog outside, feed treats to keep them occupied, and then work on quiet with the crated dog.

Unless your dogs are burnt out, which doesn't seem to be the case, you aren't over training. If I lived in a perfect world and had the motivation to do so, I'd do several 5 min sessions throughout the day to keep from things getting boring, but I typically end up training after human dinner, using doggie dinner as a reward.

Skipping training sessions is fine, I've taken a 2 day break because I get burnt out more than my dog does, but remember to supplement training time with something else. When I'm burnt out, I like to just sit down, ask for well known tricks, and then toss a treat or toy as a reward.. which I suppose is also training, but less demanding than what I'm working on right now (rally commands and obedience)

Reactions: FloofyPoodle

·
Registered
531 Posts
Training with both dogs present is something that I have recently been working on.
Before this, I just always had the training dog in a different place (I have a shop that is perfect for training and then I leave the other dog in the house).
I started out by working on 'taking turns', alternating between the two, saying their name, wait for eye contact, treat that dog. Then added in a command after the name.
The next step was putting one dog in place on their bed (both have a pretty solid place, especially Apple my older dog). I acted like I was training the dog not in place, but really this was an extension of place training. With the 'working' dog I just did very basic sit stay and down stay, coming back to reinforce the place while the working dog stayed. At first I was returning every 30-60 sec and switching who was on place approx every 2 minutes.
We're still working on it but now if I don't mini session in the house, the non-working dog doesn't get so eager to be involved, and when I am working both of them I am switching dogs every 5 min or so.
As for skipping sessions, well, I can tell that Raffi at least is better behaved when we do train frequently, but I'm very inconsistent (different times of day, sometimes a lot in one day and skipping others) and I like to tell myself that it helps keep them from relying on a regular, predictable routine lol. That's mostly trying to spin my faults into a positive, but I think there might be some truth to it too... 😉

1 - 4 of 4 Posts