Poodle Forum banner

Crusty Eye

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TK9NY 
#1 ·
Poor Limerick - yesterday he had a little bit of light green goop in one eye that i wiped away and this morning we woke up and his eye was all crusty and gross, the eye itself pink/red and irritated. We've been over at my parents the past two days while i had new flooring put in at our house. They've been mostly crated, and they were SO good.

There are only a few vets open today and none have any availability to see him. The best we can do is Monday, our normal vet will take him for the day and someone will see him between appointments. Otherwise Friday is the next available appointment. I guess for the next two days i'll be making sure he doesn't scratch it and wet wiping it clear of crusties. He's pawing at it a little, and rubbing up against me (and the couch - yuck), but he's otherwise in pretty good spirits so.....

I just feel bad, i know how eye infections feel.

#2 ·
Do you have an emergency vet? Sometimes you have to drive a distance to get to them. I know you said only a few vets are open and you can’t get him an appointment earlier than Monday. My own vet is now only open every other Saturday so I understand. But I would look for an emergency vet if you think it’s an infection…and it sounds like infection and not allergies or an eye irritation.

Poor Limerick and poor you, no one likes to see their pet in discomfort or pain.

#3 ·
The emergency vet closest to us is closed on sat/sun due to staffing shortages. They have a list of other places to go instead, but i believe that they all cost over $150 just to get in the door. I don’t want to even guess what it would cost for any testing/treatment…..

If his eye gets worse or anything else changes obviously that’s the backup plan, but he’s eating and drinking and playing and acting normal - just with an itchy/goopy eye. Our vet on the phone said he should be okay until Monday and to just keep the goop wiped away.

Dog Eye Carnivore Dog breed Felidae

#4 ·
That’s good to know your vet said it’s okay to wait.

Horrible that the one vet practice you expect to be open isn’t due to staffing shortages.

#6 ·
That’s good to know your vet said it’s okay to wait.

Horrible that the one vet practice you expect to be open isn’t due to staffing shortages.
Right?!? I was shocked that an emergency vet would close like that and IMO it’s a pretty bad sign when they do. But if they don’t have the staff, not much anyone can do i guess. I would have thought they would stay open the hours normal vet practices usually aren’t though - like on the weekend or overnight.

if he weren’t acting his normal self then i would be more apt to bring bring him to one of the alternative emergency clinics but he seems fine and the vet said he should be fine for a day or two. I was told to cone him if he rubs at it. I feel bad though. I should have called yesterday when he had the runny goop - but once I wiped it away it didn’t come back so I thought it was just a one off or he got something in the eye like pollen or dirt.

hopefully some eye drops will be all he needs - he probably won’t be going to preschool this week just in case it’s something contagious….

#5 ·
Poor Limerick. :(

Peggy used to get crusty eyes a day or two after every grooming appointment. Sometimes one would seal shut overnight and it was so sad how she’d bump her head into me, trying to fix it but not really understanding what was happening.

Hoping your boy is back to 100% soon.

#7 ·
Poor Limerick. :(

Peggy used to get crusty eyes a day or two after every grooming appointment. Sometimes one would seal shut overnight and it was so sad how she’d bump her head into me, trying to fix it but not really understanding what was happening.

Hoping your boy is back to 100% soon.
He was rubbing against me this morning before he started chasing Dublin around. He was a little clingy like he didn’t feel great but was fine eating and playing after a while. My mom lets them out during the day while I’m at work and said he’s been fine. So….

#8 ·
#9 ·
Water boiled, a very little salt added, then left to cool is my go to for bathing and cleaning sore places on dogs. Hope it proves to be something minor.

#12 ·
I wonder if standard poodles are prone to follicular conjunctivitis, because puppy Peggy had frequent flare-ups, too.

“Follicular conjunctivitis is an allergic eye condition of young dogs. It is most commonly seen in large-breed dogs under 18 months of age.”

#14 ·
Update: Lim saw the vet yesterday. He has a minor scratch on the cornea of that eye. We're unsure if it was the cause of the goop/redness or if it came secondary to it. The vet said he could have scratched it any number of ways and wasn't all that concerned. He's on eye meds in case of eye infection and on antibiotics for the scratch, we have to schedule a follow up visit but he should be good to go and i have the eye ointment in case either of them have the goop again.

#16 ·
Good thing this was caught and treated soon. Even "minor" corneal scratches can be very painful (I have Recurrent Corneal Erosion so I have experience :() and can turn much more serious very quickly.

Hope he's feeling much better already!

#17 ·
I did not expect a scratch. I think that may have happened when he was rubbing it, instead of being the cause, because Dublin had goop this morning too. Infection, maybe, or irritant of some kind - the vet said to go-ahead and give Dubs the eye ointment too and he would look him over if needed (IE if the eye gets red or more goopy) when we go for the re-check.

Good thing my vet allows drop offs or we would be stuck waiting until Friday! I understand that not all vets do this. We're also going to start Nexgard for the fleas. He didn't seem that surprised that the Advantix wasn't working - he said the fleas/ticks were pretty bad this year and have been harder for some people to get rid of. Advantix still works better than Frontline, Seresto has been good for prevention but not treatment. We're going to try Nexgard, he says it hasn't had any issues getting rid of fleas in the area and several of my clients AND my boss swear by it.

Limerick has also been losing baby teeth left and right! He's extra chompy with poor Dublin and Dublin is covered in dry blood smears - he's almost Halloween ready, i guess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.