Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so cross your fingers for me, folks.

Since I decided my kids were too young for a puppy, I *mostly* stopped looking for a poodle. It's been really hard to find a suitable adult that had the qualities I wanted who wasn't snapped up by someone within 24 hours of posting on craigslist or petfinder.

I just emailed the person from this craigslist ad:

Standard Poodle

He looks like a nice boy, and might also be able to compete in obedience. I'm assuming you have to have the AKC registration to be able to do so...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
No you don't need AKC papers in order to compete in obedience so you don't have to limit yourself there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The only time you really need AKC papers for obedience or agility is for your breeder to gain recognition (at least that's what I gather), so if my dog would earn his obedience or agility title, my breeder could then tell potential puppy owners "One of my dogs has an agility title or whatever". Good luck getting this guy, hope he's a perfect fit for your family!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I thought the dogs did need to be registered to compete in obedience etc? They have to be here, unless you're only doing the unofficial competitions. If you want to do the official competitions then you have to be registered with the NZKC, though we do also allow mix breeds etc into the 'obedience' part of the register so ANY dog can be registered with NZKC here (though only those on the official 'breed' register can be shown at confirmation shows etc)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I thought the dogs did need to be registered to compete in obedience etc? They have to be here, unless you're only doing the unofficial competitions. If you want to do the official competitions then you have to be registered with the NZKC, though we do also allow mix breeds etc into the 'obedience' part of the register so ANY dog can be registered with NZKC here (though only those on the official 'breed' register can be shown at confirmation shows etc)
Nope, AKC has a new mixed breed program, so any dog can officially compete from what I understand.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
we have mixed breeds allowed too, but they still need to be registered with NZKC... how can they keep track of wins and award titles etc if they're not?? Hmm

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! Sound perfect!

Yes you do need some sort of AKC papers to compete in performance. If you don't get official registration papers with him (this would be the easiest route), you can apply to AKC for some sort of alternative registration for altered dogs.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
For Plumcrazy to put Lucy in Obedience or agility, we had to get a certified 3 gen pedigree from my kennel club to ensure she was purebred and registered. Would this be because she is spayed, or an import, or isn't it like this for everyone?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Meau was back yard bred - we got ZERO registration papers from her "breeder" (unless, of course, Katy wanted to pay an additional $100 to get worthless Continental Kennel Club papers from the woman :wacko:) In order for her to compete in AKC sanctioned performance trials we needed to apply for a Purebred Alternative Listing from the AKC - it was a piece of cake and now Meau has a registration number from the AKC stating she is a standard poodle (we had to send two clear photos of her - front and side - and the people at AKC could decide if they thought she was purebred enough to qualify for the PAL number) Alternatively - if we hadn't thought she was purebred, we could have applied for a Companion Animal Program number (no photos necessary) and AKC would have sent a registration number for her as a mix breed.

Lucy is a different kettle of fish because she actually *IS* registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, but AKC needs their own registration for her - in order to get her dually registered, they require a 3 generation pedigree, photos, copy of her CKC registration certificate and proof of spay (I think...) I haven't sent in any of the paperwork to AKC yet because she was just spayed this week - I'll probably get around to in in the next week or two.

Meau's registration with AKC cost $35 (plus the cost of processing the photos) and Lucy's will be $50 (plus the cost for getting her 3 gen pedigree from CKC, photos, etc...)

Kuriooo - this boy looks PERFECT for your family - It almost seems like fate that this was a second listing for him (just when you were actively looking!) Crossing my fingers that the family who currently owns him picks YOU to be his perfect forever home!!!

ETA: Tell them to come to the poodle forum and look at this thread if they want to know who *WE* think should get him! :lol: :pound:

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words - the person must have gotten a response from one of the previous emailers that she mentioned in the ad (her email went down and she lost replies from the previous ad she had posted).

It's ok - the right dog will come along at the right time, puppy or adult. And then I'll post pics. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts