Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my new girl home. Other than thinking she can bite your hand, she's a dream. She's an 8 week old pup. I can't help to get concerned about her tail that goes to a 45 degree point to the right. Will that ever straighten out????

J

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I know someone with a poodle who's tail remains to one side and doesn't stand straight - I can't remember why but the dog was born this tail. Her dog is completely normal otherwise. They compete in agility and obedience - but not conformation.

I also know someone with a poodle who carries his tail normally, but when he's heeling for Obedience, his tails hangs to the right. I don't know of any other dog who does this.

As for your dog, I would ask the vet. It could be nothing or it could be an indication of something that is important to be aware of. I would also ask your breeder.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The first thing I would check is that your puppy is receiving good balanced nutrition that is allowing proper bone growth. That said...

My dog did have a tail kink at one point as he was growing, and I think it was because he used to constantly yank it to one direction playing with it. I used some unconventional methods to help it straighten, but I wouldn't advise replicating unless I'm giving thorough personal instruction because it is difficult to do safely. I don't want to recommend something tricky that causes harm when done incorrectly. In my case the tail has straightened out and now looks like a normal tail, though it retains a slight curvature in that direction. It looks completely natural now though. I believe I started working with it when he was around 6 months old.

I will include a photo I took back when it was at its worst and later after it straightened. If you want info on what I did, send me a PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
My parents had an Irish Setter with a kink in her tail. It happens when they are still in mom's belly. It doesn't straighten out, but it also doesn't do any harm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts