Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bath and groom Jake I let his hair dry naturally. I really want to be able to blow dry him so he goes nice and fluffy, HOWEVER............ When I have finished bathing him, he goes absolutely crazy :wacko:, runs all around the house for ages and wont let anyone pick him up, let alone dry him with a hair dryer!!
So I guess I have 2 questions,
1. Does anyone have any idea why he does this after a bath??
2. How can I get him to calm down enough to be able to dry him??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Too Funny!!! Both of my toys did this. I call it the zoomies. I'm sure my little puppy, Zulee would too if I let her. You might get some better suggestions, but I say let him run for a bit. Hopefully, he won't roll around and get his hair matted up for you. You might also consider reducing his area to run to help control the time of his run and matting his fur. I think he will be easier to groom if he is a little worn out.

If he gets too dry from his excursion, try a water bottle to spray the hair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I call it the zoomies.
Love it, lol. Fits perfectly with what he does. I dont think confining him to 1 room would be a good idea however, he would be a danger to himself (and my pot plants), and I dont think it would stop him!!!! I might try spraying him with water after he's calmed down a bit though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
with my girl, she goes straight from the bath to the table to be dried, so she doesn't get a chance for zoomies! I'm sure she would if she got the chance though, but she never has, cos the whole thing with a bath is that she's then gotta be dried. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
flyingduster, Thats exacty how ours are done. Brush out, bath, blow dried, w/o any zoomie times in between. Then they like to prance around and show off a bit. They just seem to know that they look good, but of course thats probably because we tell them so.

·
Registered
843 Posts
They all do that.
I let Gunther air dry and he goes absolutely nuts...usually straight for my bed,so I let him out on a deck.
Tried the yard,but he came back as a black spoo from the flower beds.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond gets the zoomies as well. He starts them literally RIGHT after he steps out of the bath... trying to play and dart around the bathroom is a challenge lol. I pretty much take him straight to the table though (but give him a chance to pee first after all that excitement), and he behaves himself. I don't know if that would work for your dog as well, but as soon as he gets on the table he knows it's grooming time and he needs to be a good doggie. :) It's kind of funny, because if I take him down off of the table for a minute, he immediately gets excited again, back on the table, he's calm. It's like an on/off switch for hyper!! xD

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do not know a dog that will not have zoomies unless trained out of it. The worst is when they are bathed outside and take off to the nearest dirt patch. They learn when they get bathed again. My shepx does this all over the hopuse after we trowel dry a bit. I would not let a SPoo do it thouhg for once it in ingrained it is hard to break.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just thought i would let you all know that i bathed jake today, wrapped him straight in a towel and started to blow dry him straight away. He was an absolute angel!! he made up for the zoomies after i had finished though lol. but he looks great!! thanks :amen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts