Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else use this practice? I used to let my two stay out
over night in the hubby and I's bedroom, but I was getting tired of
them pooping and peeing all over the floor...something had to change!
Ever since I have started placing them in their kennel every night, they
hold it until I let them out in the morning and take them outside.
I never knew that crating over night would have so much of an effect
on them! :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Does anyone else use this practice? I used to let my two stay out
over night in the hubby and I's bedroom, but I was getting tired of
them pooping and peeing all over the floor...something had to change!
Ever since I have started placing them in their kennel every night, they
hold it until I let them out in the morning and take them outside.
I never knew that crating over night would have so much of an effect
on them! :eek: :D

I always crate puppies over night or whenever Im not home. Sure my older dogs have earned the priveledge to stay out but if they are under a year, in the crate you go. lol Mikey is really good over night and I never crated him but he was also 9 months when I got him. A crate is one of the best dog tools you can own in my book.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes, all mine get taught in crates. Poodles like to be clean, and dont like to sleep in their own filth. Its the best way to train them till they get use holding onto it. When they are older they are allowed to sleep on my bed.
No hubby here so my bed is full of poodles :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
We crate ours until they are reliably housebroken. Max is 8 months old and hasn't had an accident in months so we leave the door open.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am currently crate training our boy and he has been so good with it. Unfortunately our bedroom and his crate are upstairs so we have to trapse downstairs once or twice each night to go to the toilet but it is worth it.

I have just started putting water and some dry biscuits in at night as well as he was waking me up to go downstairs for a drink a few times a night also. I put the water & food in heavy ceramic bowls and so far we haven't had any issues with it being tipped over.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have never crated my boy at night. He does so well though. Never had one accident. He always gets in one of our faces to let us know he needs to pottie. We only crate him when we are away because he gets anxiety to be alone in the house. Most of the time he is with one of us though. He doesnt mind his kennel to much.. he sees it as an opportunity for a nap ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I crate my Standard and Toy at night, I also crate my Pit when I leave a she likes to jump the fence. My dogs enjoy their crate and will go in them during the day just to nap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I crate both mine overnight and sometimes when I go out. They are both reliably house trained but they regard their crates as "home" and often go in there when I'm on the computer (same room). I don't want them wandering upstairs or disturbing the cats in the night and as when I turn the TV off, they both go to their crates, I continue to use them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My two see their crate as home also, they love it! They will
actually go into it during the day to nap, play, or wrestle around! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bauer also loves his crate, but he sleeps in the room with us. We waited until he was about a year old before we allowed him free run of the bedroom though. He still goes into the crate when we're not home because I'm not sure I trust him not to get into mischeif. He digs up the flowers in the back yard, I can only imagine what he'd do to my house!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I crate moose.

We've let him sleep on the bed a couple times but he moves a lot so we get less sleep.

-Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts