Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leah did great in her crate! Mocha cried for a long long time. Mama caved bc a long drive from NC wears a person out. Their crates are in different rooms. this morning I have put their food bowls in their crates and moved the crates out to the living room. With the hope that they would go in and out bc the crates are more available than in the bedrooms...thoughts? I'm used to following a schedule similar to a baby. Up and potty, play for a little over an hour, crate/sleep for 1/2 hr. Start the cycle over...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you read the free Ian Dunbar puppy books? Most of your questions are probably answered there. I personally wouldnt be expecting puppies to find their own crates, or letting them roam at least for the first few months.

·
Registered
751 Posts
We originally put our puppy's crate in a guest room, but he didn't like it. Moving it to the family area - as you just did - worked for us. You can put them in to rest and let them out under supervision.

Most people here use X-pens for daytime. We didn't. We just watched and cleaned up as need be.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We originally put our puppy's crate in a guest room, but he didn't like it. Moving it to the family area - as you just did - worked for us. You can put them in to rest and let them out under supervision.

Most people here use X-pens for daytime. We didn't. We just watched and cleaned up as need be.

Good luck.
We unfortunately don't have room to do an xpen, proper sized crate and regular furniture. The layout of out ranch home is a little compact

·
Registered
351 Posts
My house is compact too 😉. I used baby gates so that Raffi was restricted to the main livingroom/kitchen area (semi open concept) and his crate was there too. The only bed available was in his crate (granted he was a fall puppy so a nice cozy warm bed was good, might be different for summer- maybe a cooling mat?). Feeding and chews were in his crate. He also spent some of his awake time most days attached to me with umbilical leash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts