Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of crate training my puppy, he is brilliant at sleeping at night, we put him to bed when he starts getting sleepy which is between 11 and 12pm then I let him out for a wee at 3.30 and then he sleeps though till 7 when I let him out for a wee again before his breakfast.

The problem is more in the day, I am not sure how long I should be crating him for to get him used to being in there for when I have to leave him for going to the supermarket or something.

I play fetch with him for a little while when he is up (and stop just before he gets bored) or we play with his other toys or do training then he has a cuddle on the sofa. When he falls asleep I put him in his crate and he stays asleep in there for a bit but I do not know if I should be leaving him in there for longer periods as he tends to wake up after 30 mins or so and then cry, I have been letting him out as soon as he wakes up (before the crying begins) but then that means he is only ever in his crate for very short periods of time.

Should I continue letting him out after he has been asleep for 30 mins before he cries or should I let him cry through and leave him a bit longer as I know he can hold his wee longer than that.

What should I be doing here?

Thanks for any input :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
During the day, a puppy can be in a crate for as many hours as he is months old + 1 hours. 9 weeks = 2 months so he can be in the crate 3 hours at a time during the day.

I use the crate all the time when I am house training puppies. I put them in their crate for a hour or so, take them out and they almost always potty. If they don't... back into the crate for another 30 minutes or so. I find getting them on a schedule really helps with house training.

At night, he should be able to be dry from around 11p.m to 6 am. I do not recommend getting up in the middle of the night to let puppies out. They need to learn to hold their urine until early morning. Make sure his crate is small, though so that he is not tempted to potty in a corner of it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt want him to associate the crate with negative feelings when he is crying in there, should I just try a 3 hour stint and ignore all crying?

I was letting him out when he had quietened down after crying.

Do you have a crate schedule you follow or do you just do whatever is convenient? I was only putting him in the crate when he was sleepy and more likely to settle.

Also, when we take him out for a wee, he does very little wees so when we bring him back in and we think we are safe he can do another wee about 5 minutes later.

Wont he start hating the crate if we keep putting him in and he cries?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
No he needs to learn to be a big boy and sit in his crate quietly until he gets to come out. This will be extra special important if he is going to do film work. He will need to be able to stay in his crate quietly for long periods of time.

Personally I just practice tough love. The puppies go into the crate when I need them to go into the crate and that is that. If they whine or cry, they are either ignored or scolded (squirt bottle, banging on top of crate etc). I usually don't have any trouble at all though because my puppies are raised with a crate in their whelping box so they are used to sleeping in one.

You might check out the video Crate Games for more systematic crate training:

Crate Games

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is brilliant, Thank you!

I will do that with Panda from now on.

I will also get that DVD you recommended :)

He is a good little puppy, he is learning his commands so quickly and will walk on his leash next to me although he does have a mad moment sometimes and have a nibble but we will crank up the leash work and I am sure he will get it very soon, he is very clever.

Do you wake the puppies up if they are asleep in thier crate if you want to feed them or do some training or do you wait till they wake up?

Thank yo so much for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i'm cbrand- after crate training A LOT of foster dog this year LOL i'm all about tough love. ... (and ear plugs)

Short periods- Give them thing for longer periods to entertain (Ie a chewy/kong/toy) they are ignored if whining if they are being loud they get a squirt with water.

took kiah 1 night of sleeping in a crate by the bed with a water bottle with me to learn to stay quiet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has been asleep in his crate for a while now after leaving him to cry he gave up and fell asleep, his bed is all messed up as he dug under the pillow but he didnt seem to mind and just slept under it :)

Actually saying that he has just woken up and is whimpering, I will let him out for a wee when he is quiet again.

I guess if we keep doing this he will learn to just go in quietly. I give him a chew or a kong when he goes in although that normally stops him having a nap and causes him to cry as he wants to come out but i guess again, repetition and ignoring any noise will make it better.

What sort of games do you recommend playing with your puppy when he is out of the crate? We play fetch a lot and tug but when we play tug it is actually more to teach take it and drop it, the actual tugging is only ever for a very short time. Then I just let him chew his toys or pretend to 'kill them' while keeping a very close eye on him as even if he has just had a wee he tends to do another small one inside given the chance! Then we do some more training :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he is doing great in his crate now. Sleeps through the whole night and we have moved him to the lounge instead of in our room too with no problems.

If we put him in his crate in the day he normally settles very quickly. Sometimes he will wine for a few minutes but never for very long.

We even left him while we went to the supermarket and he was just fine in his crate, he wasn't crying when we got home but was just relaxing :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Please get the Crate Games DVD by Susan Garrett and don't start using a (squirt bottle, banging on top of crate etc) as a way to train your dog to like and feel safe in his crate as was suggested.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Panda has started (well for the last 2 weeks i think, or at least it feels that way) to cry about 30-40 minutes before I get him up. I know he can hold it as he has never messed his crate and he doesn't always even do a big wee when I let him out (sometimes he does though)

Do you think he thinks if he cries for 30 minutes he wakes us up and we get him up even though I wait for the alarm to go off (he may not be able to hear it as its on my phone and pretty quiet) He is almost always quiet when he hears us coming to him as I wont let him out till he is quiet for a few seconds, he just cries until he hears movement in his direction.

I thought keeping the routeen would help him by waiting till the same time every morning and till the alarm has gone off but after all this time, he still does it every morning 0_o

He is great in the day, he will sleep when you put him in or at least be in there quietly relaxing or playing with his toys. He may whine for a minute but is normally very good.

Any advice on this one? We have him in the lounge now but can hear him from our room.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My toy female is 8 weeks and I am just starting on the journey that you have been on. The vet did mention to me that even though in the first few weeks it appears that your pup is doing very well, as it is developing things are changing with what and how they understand and it can cause a set back.. now to the extent of this kind of set back, i have no idea, but it has me not getting my hopes up when my lil girl is doing so well.. How are you getting your boy to listen and obey commands so well? I am trying with my girl and it just seems to be a lost cause!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jackson (who is 15 months) still wakes up every morning at 3:30 and wants me to get up too. I tell him to go lay down and he does. If you NEVER give in, they'll learn. Sometimes it just takes time. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My pup does the same thing. He's quiet as a mouse all night, but in the morning he will cry and scratch at the crate door. I also know he can hold it longer because sometimes he's quiet. I think he's just bored and ready to play. I don't get him right away. I put the pillow over my head and wait until I'm ready to get up. I am hoping this will eventually work!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least its not just me, strange though as for a while he was quiet till needed then suddenly he started to cry and now does it every morning. I hope he grows out of it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts