Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What crate size would you suggest? Mom is 22.5/45lbs, dad is 24.5/62lbs. Mom is 22.5/55lbs, dad 22.5, 55lbs. Planning to get 2 different crates. Wanted to use the same crate from puppy hood til full grown using a divider. I'm seeing ones that are 42, 48 long but only 30, 33 tall...is that really tall enough?

·
Registered
739 Posts
How tall are they at the top of the head? If they are less then about twenty eight inches at the top of their heads the thirty should be tall enough. I would say that as long as they are about two inches less then the top of the crate. It all really depends on preference though.

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Assuming they're the kind with a divider, go with the largest crate you can accommodate. Definitely worth it so you don't have to buy another if puppy grows bigger than expected, or gets injured as an adult and needs a little extra wiggle room to move around and get comfortable.

Rule of thumb is 4" clearance on all sides.

I like the ones with two doors so you have more freedom to move it to different locations, and can easily attach an x-pen to the entrance to provide a longer-term confinement area. We use this one with a Frisco x-pen, but made our own base for the crate because the plastic tray has a very strong smell:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My girl is eight months old. She’s and 23” to the withers and 45 pounds. She has a 42” long crate that’s 30” tall. The crate is huge. It’s like a palace for her!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm seeing most at 33" or 30" and was concerned that sitting they would hit their heads? But you think there is adequate space?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I plan to crate train my girl Standard Poodle. I have heard scary things about wire crates from dogs bending sides and having too much stimulation with open slats. I have also heard plastic crates get hot...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,509 Posts
I started my boy Pogo in a plastic crate. I would like awake at night listening to him panting inside it. Eventually we just let him sleep in a puppy proofed room with his brother Snarky instead.

I started Galen in a wire crate. Galen seems much more comfortable in the wire crate than Pogo did in the plastic. We did have a few episodes where the cat lay down outside Galen's crate and just stared at him. Galen would start barking in outrage at being so taunted. I threw a blanket over the crate to block the view. Problem solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started my boy Pogo in a plastic crate. I would like awake at night listening to him panting inside it. Eventually we just let him sleep in a puppy proofed room with his brother Snarky instead.

I started Galen in a wire crate. Galen seems much more comfortable in the wire crate than Pogo did in the plastic. We did have a few episodes where the cat lay down outside Galen's crate and just stared at him. Galen would start barking in outrage at being so taunted. I threw a blanket over the crate to block the view. Problem solved.
Thank you for your insight Cowpony, I decided to move forward with wire crate and ordered a cover.

Sure appreciate your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts