Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size crate you all use for a mini poodle that is expected to be 14" to 15" tall when fully grown? I ordered this small size crate (24x18x21) in preparation for our puppy coming home next weekend using the sizing chart of the seller. I just received it today and I'm now wondering if it's too small for when she's fully grown.

Link to the product: http://a.co/d/6YwQYQf

I know I can get a bigger crate and use the provided divider. However, I don't want to spend more than necessary and I don't want to have a bigger crate than necessary occupying floor space. On the other hand, i don't want to have to get a new crate when she's fully grown.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I have that crate for Javelin in the 36". It was actually also Lily's puppy crate. He has to duck a little going in and out, but the amount of floor space in it is more than enough for him (he weighs 50 pounds). That is two sizes up from the one you have. I don't think you need to go bigger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for your help.

BTW, do I really need to buy a doggy toothbrush and brush her teeth regularly? I just had all of my gears delivered today. Trying to see what else I'm missing and saw something about brushing their teeth.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I've never been too successful on tooth brushing. I do sometimes scale Javelin's teeth (as demonstrated for me by my vet). All of our dogs are power chewers so between buffalo ears and Himalayan Yak cheese their teeth are pretty good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the crate you have is large enough. When full grown, your crate will allow your mini to easily turn around, stand, and lay down with paws outstreatched.

I house train a puppy using a small crate space. The puppy will work to avoid fouling it. In brief, I initially reduce the puppy's available crate space to increase the puppy's incentive for keeping the crate clean. Its important then to take the puppy outside regularly so it does not need to relieve itself in the crate, and develops the capacity and desire to wait to go outside. Once the puppy has continuous success, I increase the available space. Thereafter, the crate can become a dog's safe and secure spot.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I think the crate size you chose is fine. I initially crate trained my mini but as soon as she was housebroken, I started leaving the door open 24/7 ......at that point she decided my bed was more comfortable than her crate! LOL Crate training is important though for those times that it might be needed (Vet's, Groomer, Travel, etc)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts