Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister had a crate that she didn't need so I got it for no cost. Its 36x22x24(H). I'm sure it will be OK right when I get him, but in 6 months I'm thinking it will be too small. I want to have a 2nd crate to put in my bedroom, so I'm going to buy another one. My bedroom is small, so I don't want it bigger than necessary, but it has to be big enough for a full grown SPOO. Her spoo's are generally 45-55 lbs, so not as large as spoo's can get. What size crate(s) do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
It's the long legs, not the weight, that will push a growing spoo up into the next size crate. Galen, at 24" and ~45 pounds, is ok in a 42" inch crate, although he prefers a 48". Pogo was ~26" and definitely needed a 48" crate. Even then he had to sit hunched over.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the long legs, not the weight, that will push a growing spoo up into the next size crate. Galen, at 24" and ~45 pounds, is ok in a 42" inch crate, although he prefers a 48". Pogo was ~26" and definitely needed a 48" crate. Even then he had to sit hunched over.
Thanks for the quick response.!What height size is big enough?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
We upgraded to 48” when Peggy outgrew her 36” crate. She started hitting the sides, trying to get comfortable, around 8 months, and was having increasingly restless nights.

We got this one:

which provided enough enough length and width for her legs in various positions, and enough height to allow her to stand while also accommodating the thickness of a supportive bed:

The dimensions of that crate are 48 L x 30.5 W x 32.5 H. We’re lucky we went with that size, as she had a major growth spurt at 18 months. I don’t think she’d be able to comfortably stand in the 42” with her bed in there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on both your inputs, I think I'll be best off getting a 48" crate. How does Peggy like the bed? That looks nice too!

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
She loves that bed! It’s held its shape, too. No noticeable Peggy-shaped indent almost a year later. We’re careful to rotate it occasionally, like a human mattress, and she has a few blankets in there that she can bunch up into a pillow or shove to the side.

For a puppy I’d start with the blankets only, or even old towels, and definitely use a crate divider. Once Peggy was trustworthy around soft things (i.e. wouldn’t pee or chew on them) we started introducing big girl bedding. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I mostly use old towels and clothing as bedding for my puppies. It's small enough to fit in the washer if they soil it, and I don't mind throwing it out if it gets destroyed. I just make sure there aren't any loose threads or anything else the puppy can chew off and swallow. All of my puppies have tended to run hot, so they liked to push their bedding out of the way and sleep directly on the plastic on warm summer days.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We have a 42 x 28 x 30 crate. Basil's 44 pounds (female, Spoo, 11 mo old).

This is the one I bought.

Old bed spread and an alaska airlines blanket are hers.

You can use the top of the cage as a grooming station if you want (see below). I have a 275 sq ft apt, so I hear you on space.

(Old picture... For visual purposes.)

I'll have Basil's latest haircut in a spoiler incase anyone's interested -

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
92 Posts
I have a 48 x 29 x 32in. wire crate for Stella. She’s still growing, but right now she is roughly 30 lbs. and 21 in. at the shoulders. It’s been a couple weeks since I checked so... I was going to get a 42in. but asked the breeder, and she said that her crates for her dogs are 48in. I’m glad I got a 48in. crate

Like PtP said, its best to just use blankets and towels before they learn to no attack the bed

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Some additional thoughts - I got crates with multiple doors. I find it very helpful to be able to to access the crate from different angles. Galen's crate has been used in four different rooms, and I usually have to shoehorn it in between other furniture. Sometimes I can only use the side door, and sometimes I can only use the end door, depending on where it fits.

I'd also suggest reading reviews to see if anyone complains about the wire doors bending and trapping little paws and heads. Quality varies.

·
Registered
738 Posts
She looks really cute - I like the way you did the legs. I’ve been wanting to do that for a while, but with my zero experience as a groomer and a wiggly puppy, I have yet to do that.
Thank you, we all start from square one. It's just working on one part at a time. Here's how to tackle the height of the front pom.

Use your comb to measure, just like how Blake did in the video. Then, the back pom is just the hock height at a 30 degree angle (you just eyeball it) for the angulation. Voillllllllla.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a 42 x 28 x 30 crate. Basil's 44 pounds (female, Spoo, 11 mo old).

This is the one I bought.

View attachment 474581

Old bed spread and an alaska airlines blanket are hers.

You can use the top of the cage as a grooming station if you want (see below). I have a 275 sq ft apt, so I hear you on space.

(Old picture... For visual purposes.)
View attachment 474582

I'll have Basil's latest haircut in a spoiler incase anyone's interested -

She looks so stressed out in that crate (NOT!)! . So a vote for the 42"!

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
She looks so stressed out in that crate (NOT!)! . So a vote for the 42"!
Basil is still quite young.

@Basil_the_Spoo, how tall is Basil currently at the withers? Peggy grew two inches around 18 months, bringing her to 23.5”. This plus her head plus her bed comes close to 33” when she sits up.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Basil is still quite young.

@Basil_the_Spoo, how tall is Basil currently at the withers? Peggy grew two inches around 18 months, bringing her to 23.5”. This plus her head plus her bed comes close to 33” when she sits up.
She is 23.0". I just measured her now.

I'm under the impression Basil's stature is lighter then average compared to the 2 other Spoo girls we've met locally, they were 50-53 pound girls.

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
She is 23.0". I just measured her now.

I'm under the impression Basil's stature is lighter then average compared to the 2 other Spoo girls we've met locally, they were 50-53 pound girls.
She’s roughly the same height and weight as Peggy, but might have some more growing to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts