Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh hey last minute question.

We bought Flip a bed and a blanket for his crate, but I wonder how wise it is to put his bed in there until we know how he behaves when left alone.
I don't want him to rip it up/soil it. Will a blanket be enough padding?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Personally i think (and tell clients) that puppies have to earn their comfort in a crate. I start them out with nothing in the crate until they are crate trained. Otherwise they tend to soil the bedding since it will absorbe everything and they stay nice and dry. Win/win for the puppy. :doh: They naturally do not want to soil where they sleep, so by not giving them anything it will be uncomfortable to them and teach them to hold it.
Once they are reliably not soiling their crate then you can try a blanket unless your puppy is going to chew/eat it. Riley was never a crate chewer and didnt actually ingest things, so he got a towel after a couple weeks. Alot of puppies will eat what they shread and that could have to be surgically removed.

SO, no bedding for now. Once your puppy proves they can be "good" in the crate they can have something. Riley got an old blanket in his crate. When we stopped the crate he got a nice dog bed.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Great advice.

The Foster Mom said she was giving him a blanket in his crate now, and he's been clean so far, but I know accidents happen no matter what. :)

My last dog (besides my pampered cav) was a bony greyhound who needed every inch of padding she could get. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think if he's doing okay with a blanket in his crate now at his foster home, then he should do okay with you. I think I would try using blanket only for about a week in the crate, have him use his bed when out of the crate while being supervised to let him know that this bed is his, then try putting the bed in the crate if all seems to be going well. Good luck with your new fur baby.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When he first comes home I would put nothing in his crate (dogs usually need a transitioning) and it'd help if he did have any accidents when you get him home.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
maybe the foster mom will send his blanket with him ... I would ask for it, to make him feel more secure in the beginning :) just a thought.
Have FUN with your new baby!!!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't get a chance to ask for his blanket, but he seems to like the one I got him.
He has been an angel so far, went potty outside, and is now laying down in his crate, eating his dinner.

He was great in the car, and unfortunately for him, he had to have a bath right away, he was pretty messy. He tolerated that very well. <3

I'm smitten.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree with the "no bedding till I am sure they are clean" theory. But, if he is clean then a blanket should be no problem. But, I think even though he is clean at his foster home, I personally would give him a little time with no bedding as changing homes can cause some stress and change their habits. This way if he has an accident, he will not do it on the blanket then push it out of the way and think it is ok.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It sounds exciting that you have a new furbaby! Can't wait to see pictures and hear more about him. He already sounds like a dream! :angel:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts