Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 day/1 night trip coming up, and I'm wondering if I can get away with just bringing the dog bed Jessie snoozes in during the day instead of her whole overnight crate setup. She always sleeps crated at home, but never uses the crate during the day even though the door is kept open. We've traveled with her before and she was fine, but we brought the crate since we were in the same place for several nights.

Do you think leaving her crate at home would mess with her crate training or just freak her out?

Registered
Well I think it really boils down to how much you know your dog and how she does in new environments.

Just at home, not a new place, when I started to let Norman sleep with me in bed and not in his crate, the first few nights he would jump down and go to his crate to sleep. It's a comfort to them and he clearly enjoyed the safe "cave" feeling.

Now this is where it comes to you knowing your dog and her personality best. If you think she will feel safe in just her bed with you in the room, give it a shot! Maybe put the bed under a desk or closet where she may feel more enclosed and secure?
But if you're worried about freaking her out I would bring the crate.
Also if shes not fully potty trained, she may soil in the middle of the night if shes not crated and gets curious to adventure in the room! Even with Norman potty trained I would be worried he'd find a new chew toy made out of the hotel furniture!! lol!!

Registered
100% bring the crate is my advice. Our dogs love consistency. Staying away from home can be stressful and if you can minimize that stress, all the better.

Registered
I think it's wise to always take a crate on trips. I like to have her in her plastic airline crate (the one she sleeps in at night) when on the road. Long ago I was in an accident on the way home from a show. Three people and about 8 dogs. The person in the front passenger seat was injured (not seriously), but all the dogs were just fine because they were in crates. They were not even upset.

Registered
I wouldn't chance the possibility of a dog harming hotel property. I've only just begun allowing my nearly 4 yo spoo to sleep in hotel beds with me. I bring the humungo LL Bean dog blanket that covers a king size bed. For several years I used a canvas folding crate in hotel rooms.

Remember, other dogs will have stayed in the room. Even if your dog is 'house trained' at home, he may react differently to a new and smelly location. My beagle-mix is very sensitive to the noise of people outside the hotel room door and is prone to bark.

I never leave my dogs alone in a hotel room, though I know people that do. It isn't worth it to me to annoy other guests or the hotel staff in the off chance that something bad happens. We're lucky for the hotels that allow dogs to stay.

Premium Member
My poodles ride in the car with safety harnesses (SleepyPod) and tethers. There is a hammock in the back set, no crates for riding since they would have to be in the way back and Lily distinctly does not like riding over the rear axle.

I always have crates, but I usually use them at show sites not for hotel rooms. Then again my dogs don't sleep in crates at home either. They are most happy if they are touching me while they are sleeping. I do usually bring an old flat sheet from home to cover the hotel linens. As to damage to the room, bring Resolve or other brand of rug cleaner and a roll of paper towles and some garbage bags to clean up barf and the like. I also take pictures if I see any dings or other sorts of marks on the furniture and usually show those pics to the desk clerk soon after check in so that damage is not assigned to us.

I say bring the crate if it is the normal place your dog sleeps.

Reactions: Zesti_V

Registered
Personally I'd bring the crate just like at home. Anytime we have ever traveled with any of our dogs we brought the crate. I'm very appreciative that the hotels allow us to even bring them in the room. Back some 40 years ago I went on a few trips with the handler of my dog and was told by her always to crate the dog, always to clean up so that no one would even know a dog had been there. I would have felt awful if my dog barfed or did anything bad in a hotel room. Plus its sometimes much louder than at home and I think they feel safe in what they are accustomed too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Jessie's crate and bedding are packed and ready to go on our short adventure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts