Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so some of you already know about Leeroy. I am getting some good pay in about a month and I've been considering getting a crate while I have the funds for all the things it needs.

I have a few concerns and I need help. For anyone that doesn't know about him yet, he's about 30-40 pounds (an spoo) and 14 months. He has anxiety and lived in his crate for 8 months as a puppy before we adopted him.. we're his 3rd family.

So... I was thinking of the soft crates due to looking more like a bed and not having that clanky loud sound of setting it up. Either way we'd make sure it's covered as I am betting he'd be more scared feeling exposed in a 'cage'.

But I know how they can be ripped through. Our cat did that once with a small one.

I do use Rescue Remedy for pets. It was phenomenal for our cat when he wasn't neutered yet, and also on a 4 day moving trip. It's like night and day. So I was thinking of putting his blanket bed in there with a Kong that has a treat with the rescue remedy pet drops in it just before we have to leave the house.

I did test him in the car at the store.. I stayed in the car with him but he was in the back seat and didn't act horribly nervous. He's also pretty calm at night when we go to bed and stays on his bed in the front room almost all night long.

BUT we have holidays coming up and I don't want to leave him with our cats or to chew on cords or anything else that would be dangerous. He doesn't seem to be much of a chewer outside of his toys, but I want to be cautious.

I'd love some advice. I hate the idea of crating him but I want to get him used to it and make it comfy and more of a safety thing for him and the cats and house if we have to be away.

Also I'd love advice on things to purchase to go with the crate like bowls etc and anything else you can think of. I want to do this right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have really been specific at the beginning of my post.. saying that the ONLY reason I am considering a crate is for safety when we're gone. Otherwise I am adamant at this point due to all that he's been through.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I don't think I would risk the impact crating him might have on the progress you have made. Given his background, and his fear of anything that looks remotely like a crate, close confinement might undo his growing confidence and cause more problems than it solves. Instead I would go for a crash tested harness in the car, and a puppy proofed room at home. Even then leaving him alone may need to be built up very gradually - I suspect that he may be a prime candidate for separation anxiety, and it would be worth taking things very gently to avoid problems. Crates are useful - it might even be a good idea to put a soft sided one in his special room with the door permanently open as a comfy bed and den - but I would not risk confining him in one till he is more confident, and you have many months of Kikopup's Crate Games under your belt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I hope you don't feel I was being cruel in considering one.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
My Sage I got from a breeder so she was used to a crate and when it thunders she feels safe in there and I cover with a blanket. I leave the door open in the living room with a bed and blanket when I have company or watching TV and Sage goes in it and lays down to sleep. She was a very skittish dog when I got her, but has really came around except for thunder.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Thank you both for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I hope you don't feel I was being cruel in considering one.

I don't think you could be cruel if you tried! You come across as far too observant and kind to do anything that might hurt him. I just wouldn't want you to spend money only to find you had to hide the crate away.

Reactions: Dechi and meljen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you could be cruel if you tried! You come across as far too observant and kind to do anything that might hurt him. I just wouldn't want you to spend money only to find you had to hide the crate away.
Thank you :)

I do think I might go ahead and buy one and take it very slow. That way we have it for later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Sage I got from a breeder so she was used to a crate and when it thunders she feels safe in there and I cover with a blanket. I leave the door open in the living room with a bed and blanket when I have company or watching TV and Sage goes in it and lays down to sleep. She was a very skittish dog when I got her, but has really came around except for thunder.
Thank you for sharing your experiences :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have had both crate savvy and crate anxious dogs and personally have never found it to be necessary to have to learn "crate" if it is not meant to be. One of my dogs had a severe reaction to crates (who knows why) and he did fine just being looked in a room with a toy - he literally never chewed anything that wasn't his and had excellent manners always. In the car he was buckled up with a harness and taught to lie down. He was a true gentleman - I miss my Stanley. Poodlekid is fine with crates - all my other dogs were fine too. Some more looking out to sleep in the crate some less so. My advice would be to not teach crate now and wait until the wounds of prior days have healed more...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't think it rule at all or that you could ever be considered cruel. He is still a young dog and is prone to get "get in trouble" unsupervised. Renn is crate trained, he sleeps in it at night and for periods during the day when he cannot be supervised. If he didn't I would not have a house or furniture and probably would not have him as for sure he would have eaten something he shouldn't. You have a difficult scenario. I'd probably place the crate in a room, where he sleeps at night and put a bed or primo pad in it. (I like the primo crate pad as it ties down so none of mine has ever destroyed it) I'd probably just leave the door open for now. Then later close it for short periods of time to see how he does. He could surprise you and not be traumatized by it at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts