Poodle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
He is adorable! The disinfectant you have is really just alcohol with some essential oils. I think it's fine if the oils aren't overpowering. I've used shampoo with lemongrass oil on Misha and he seemed fine with it. The only oil he hates the smell of is mint. You could also just clean the cage with alcohol and it would work just the same though. I'm actually fine using a diluted bleach solution to clean a cage if it's to prevent transmission of illness. As long as you rinse it really well it should be safe.

I actually find that Misha gets more doggy smell when his fur is short. The areas of longer hair tend to suppress smells and really just smell like his shampoo. I do bathe weekly though. Some people are just really really sensitive to dog smells. My boyfriend is one of them. It wouldn't matter what I washed Misha with... he would still say he smells gross. Hopefully they'll just get used to it though. I think exposure helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,112 Posts
My dogs sometimes get yeast infections in their ears. They smell like parmesan cheese when that happens. There are lots of folk remedies for doggy ear infections out on the internet. I consult the vet; the treatments I get from him work better.

And yes, it makes sense that you would use bleach to wash the crate and bedding if you are trying to get rid of a ringworm infection. You shouldn't need to do that forever, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
He is adorable! The disinfectant you have is really just alcohol with some essential oils. I think it's fine if the oils aren't overpowering. I've used shampoo with lemongrass oil on Misha and he seemed fine with it. The only oil he hates the smell of is mint. You could also just clean the cage with alcohol and it would work just the same though. I'm actually fine using a diluted bleach solution to clean a cage if it's to prevent transmission of illness. As long as you rinse it really well it should be safe.

I actually find that Misha gets more doggy smell when his fur is short. The areas of longer hair tend to suppress smells and really just smell like his shampoo. I do bathe weekly though. Some people are just really really sensitive to dog smells. My boyfriend is one of them. It wouldn't matter what I washed Misha with... he would still say he smells gross. Hopefully they'll just get used to it though. I think exposure helps.
thank you! ☺
Alcohol price is skyrocketing here lol when the price has started to get back normal, I’ll just use alcohol.
i thought it’s just my cookie 🥺 the first day we shaved his hair, he stink in 2 days!! Usually it takes 4 days or so for him to start stinking. Mmm
I hope your boyfriend and my family get used to dog smell soon ☺

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My dogs sometimes get yeast infections in their ears. They smell like parmesan cheese when that happens. There are lots of folk remedies for doggy ear infections out on the internet. I consult the vet; the treatments I get from him work better.

And yes, it makes sense that you would use bleach to wash the crate and bedding if you are trying to get rid of a ringworm infection. You shouldn't need to do that forever, though.
oh wow parmesan cheese 😳
I’ve just used bleach to clean his crate once 😳 and for the rest of the time i use that crate disinfectant.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts